"Amboseli National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park by easterntrekker

Amboseli National Park Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 373 photos

The Drought in Amboseli

Amboselli
The worst drought in Kenya since the 1960’s is being felt hardest in Amboselli. Everywhere we see dust devils across the barren land as we drive into the area.

Between The Parks

We are escorted across the area between Tsavo and Amboselli by an armed guard. He made us uneasy at first, sitting in front with his kalish nikov –semi automatic but we eventually got used to him. Several years ago Somali rebels attacked some safari vehicles so they are taking no chances.

Ancient Volcano Flows

Our drive takes us into an area of black lava flow left behind by a volcano from 100 years ago. You can still see its ribbon of black where it once ran its course.

When we finally arrive at the Amboselli gate, desperate locals, trying to sell their crafts, meet us. We buy some beautiful carved hippos and elephants as well as some beads. I guess it helps them out in some small way. I wish we had bought more when I see their faces as I go to sleep at night!
We stay at Ol Tukai Lodge – Amboselli

World renowned for its location for viewing huge herds of elephants, sadly the horrific drought has changed all that. Today the elephant population is barely surviving.

• Pros:Welcoming and Innocent
  • Cons:Death and Dying Everywhere
  • In a nutshell:Its haunting images have taught us so much .
  • Last visit to Amboseli National Park: Sep 2009
  • Intro Written Mar 31, 2010

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Amboseli is seeing better days today hopefully.One of our dreams is to visit this place

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The swings of climate is a reality of the African Savannah ~ the strong survie the drought and their genes will continue onto the next generations ;-)))

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM

It is indeed a sad state of affairs when nature turns against the animal kingdom but the sunrise might bring new hope!

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Fascinating. Thank you. I feel so spoiled reading this page. And very lucky.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Anita, I'm glad to see that you did all you could to help the locals through this difficult period. But I'm sorry to see how much things have deteriorated for both them and the game since I was in Amboseli in 1981. The world really must do more to help.

easterntrekker

“see the world or bust.”

Badges & Stats in Amboseli National Park

Have you been to Amboseli National Park?

Latest Activity in Amboseli National Park