"Lake Atitlan" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago de Atitlán by easterntrekker
Lago de Atitlán Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 409 photos
When we first saw the lake as we drove into Panajachel, we couldn't get our cameras out fast enough. The lake is surrounded by three dormant volcanoes and could be the most beautiful lake we've ever seen.
The best way to see it is by taking one of the many boat tours leaving from town.
If you have time for a couple of dollars you can go to a different lakeside village everyday . It is a fabulous way to explore the region.
We spent our time based in Panajachel. It turned out to be the right choice for us , but we wish weplanned to stay longer. This was one of our favorite parts of Guatemala.
Even though it is a popular tourist spot in the area , it still retains its own character , so you end up with that plus the added bonus of having a few nice hotels and restuarants to visit.
The town closes down in early evening but everything is open quite early in the morning.
We enjoyed the cooler evenings , great for sleeping and the clear air!
The villages around the lake make the area a really interesting area to visit and explore . I read somewhere that there are over twenty different languages spoken by the various indigenous people.
We took a boat trip to a few of the villages and had lots of fun shopping for the wonderful textiles and were delighted by the colourful traditional dress of the people ...each village different.
- Pros:A clear , beautiful and exotic place with friendly hard working people
- Cons:No negatives from me
- In a nutshell:A place to unwind and get back to earth
There are lots of boats going to the villages around the lake . There are frequent four hour ferries going to Santiago... more travel advice
There are taxis in Panajachel . They are the three wheeled variety . The whole toen is pretty small so we went by foot... more travel advice
easterntrekker's Related Pages
Lago de Atitlán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lake Atitlan"
- "Surrounded by Vulcanoes"
- "Lake of the Mayans, Gringos Welcome."
- "Beautiful And Serene"
- "Lago de Atitlan"
- "Lago Atitlan"
- "Volcanoes overlooking the lake!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago de Atitlán
- Hotels in Lago de Atitlán
- Transportation in Lago de Atitlán
- Nightlife in Lago de Atitlán
- Restaurants in Lago de Atitlán
- Shopping in Lago de Atitlán
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago de Atitlán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago de Atitlán
- 33 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Lago de Atitlán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago de Atitlán
Photos in Lago de AtitlánSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 77 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 73 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 40 reviews, 89 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 41 reviews, 77 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tonga Intro, 38 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago de Atitlán Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 36 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos
- Bermuda Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos