"A good base for Tikal" Top 5 Page for this destination El Remate by easterntrekker
El Remate Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 43 photos
El Remate is a tiny village on the outskirts of Tikal . It makes a good place to base yourself for an early morning start to explore Tikal. There are quite a few little hotels and I spotted a Hostel that looked nice. There are also a few restuarants , an internet cafe and a taxi service. You can arrange tours to Tikal from here.
El remate sets itself apart from other tiny villages in Guatemala with its wonderful wood carvers. 70% of the villagers are carvers . They began carving minature dug out canoes but now carve intricate Mayan works and exotic animal carvings . The people in the area rely on these works for their livlihood. Its a win win situation. The pieces are truly spectacular and for us quite a deal!
The area around El remate is bordered by Lake Peten Itza . Its quite lovely and a protected area so you see lots of birdlife here .Our hotel overlooked it and we had a nice sunset view each evening.
- Pros:A friendly little village , very close to Tikal
- Cons:Tiny tiny so a few days is enough
- In a nutshell:close to Tikal and a nice welcoming place to stay
We took a cab from Flores airport to our hotel in El remate. It cost $10.00. There are taxis you can get in El Remate to... more travel advice
Travel light...no formal wear here! Long sleaves and long pants Take care to wear Mosquito Repellent . There is still... more travel advice
easterntrekker's Related Pages
El Remate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Remate, halfway between Flores and Tikal"
- "A good base for Tikal"
- "El Remate, On the Road to Tikal"
- "On the shore of the Peten Itza lake."
- "El Remate"
- "No probs in el Remate"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Remate
- Hotels in El Remate
- Transportation in El Remate
- Restaurants in El Remate
- Shopping in El Remate
- Warnings and Dangers in El Remate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Remate
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to El Remate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Remate
Photos in El RemateSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 77 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 73 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 40 reviews, 89 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 41 reviews, 77 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tonga Intro, 38 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago de Atitlán Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 36 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos
- Bermuda Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos