"Tikal" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal by easterntrekker
Parque Nacional Tikal Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 1,008 photos
We set out at 5:30 Am , before the sun rose, we wanted to get there before the other tours from Flores arrived and to have a better chance to see the wildlife.
We made our arrangments for a guide at our hotel in El Remate. It was a short 25 minute ride to the park . Tikal is located in the Petén of Guatemala, about 50 miles northwest of the border with Belize.
We got a charge out of the "beware of animal crossings" ..they were more exotic than we were used to. Snakes and jaguar etc.
Tikal is the only place in the world which has been declared both a Natural and Cultural Heritage for Humanity.
As we entered the park our guide showed the Tree of Life...an important symbol in the Mayan culture.
This was a day to remember and a highlight of our trip. We spent hours with roaming around the entire area. Our guide was excellent and very knowledgable about the history of the area. He spent 3 years at University to learn about the mayan civilization of Tikal. He made the trip so much more meaningful. I've logged the tour on the following pages and noted as much information as I could gather .
Tikal is one of those special travel experiences that we will always treasure.
- Pros:Thought provoking, amazing , beautiful and exotic.
- Cons:Far away
- In a nutshell:A wonderful special chance to see what once was.
Howlers hang out all around the Tikal Park. Most likely you'll at least hear them . I couldn't get a raelly good... more travel advice
If you arrive at Tikal early you can grab a coffee at the restaurant or breakfast. Beware that even though the coffee is... more travel advice
easterntrekker's Related Pages
Parque Nacional Tikal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tikal - a Jungle Jewel"
- "Ruins in the jungle"
- "Mayan Mysteries in a Jungle Setting"
- "Tikal--The Mayan World's Greatest City Ever"
- "Parque Nacional Tikal"
- "Jungle Secrets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Hotels in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Transportation in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Nightlife in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Restaurants in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Shopping in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Warnings and Dangers in Parque Nacional Tikal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional Tikal
- 36 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Parque Nacional Tikal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parque Nacional Tikal
Photos in Parque Nacional TikalSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 77 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 73 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 40 reviews, 89 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 41 reviews, 77 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tonga Intro, 38 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago de Atitlán Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 36 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos
- Bermuda Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos