"Tikal" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal by easterntrekker

Parque Nacional Tikal Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 1,008 photos

An early start to a magical day.

We set out at 5:30 Am , before the sun rose, we wanted to get there before the other tours from Flores arrived and to have a better chance to see the wildlife.
We made our arrangments for a guide at our hotel in El Remate. It was a short 25 minute ride to the park . Tikal is located in the Petén of Guatemala, about 50 miles northwest of the border with Belize.

We got a charge out of the "beware of animal crossings" ..they were more exotic than we were used to. Snakes and jaguar etc.

Tikal is the only place in the world which has been declared both a Natural and Cultural Heritage for Humanity.

As we entered the park our guide showed the Tree of Life...an important symbol in the Mayan culture.

A stroll through an ancient civilization

This was a day to remember and a highlight of our trip. We spent hours with roaming around the entire area. Our guide was excellent and very knowledgable about the history of the area. He spent 3 years at University to learn about the mayan civilization of Tikal. He made the trip so much more meaningful. I've logged the tour on the following pages and noted as much information as I could gather .

Tikal

Tikal is one of those special travel experiences that we will always treasure.

• Pros:Thought provoking, amazing , beautiful and exotic.
  • Cons:Far away
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful special chance to see what once was.
  • Last visit to Parque Nacional Tikal: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Your trip looks wonderful. I had seen other pages of your stops to the country. This seems to be a stand out, with all the temples and monuments depicting a great culture. You did a very nice presentation.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Wonderful page! I hope to visit it one day!

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 5:52 AM

what a great page with really informative tips and good pics..This is very high on my list of must sees..must be wonderful to look upon all this ancient architecture..cheers Denny

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Hi Anita, after your Tikal page, I think of adding Tikal into my wish list. Great page with perfect combination of tips and photos. I liked it...

• Feb 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I really enjoyed my trip to Tikal , Anita , through yout eyes.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM

A very useful page. I plan to visit very soon. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 8:22 AM

Beautiful photos and lots of interesting information on your explorations of Tikal NP!! It was definitely one of the top two highlights of our 3-week Belize/Guatemala trip. Your accoms at la casa de don david look very tempting!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 1:39 PM

brilliant tips you have. i just linked a friend of mine to your pages. he's travelling around guatemala now and asked me for some accomodation options. guatemala is one nice place in my opinion.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Great tips and photos from GUA. I can't wait to go and see it all for myself!

• Suzie3's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2007 at 8:39 PM

We just returned from our second trip there and I learned so much from you when I returned! Thank you.

easterntrekker

“see the world or bust.”

Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional Tikal

Have you been to Parque Nacional Tikal?

Latest Activity in Parque Nacional Tikal