"Afternoon in Mexico..." Juárez by Shihar
Juárez Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Down town El Paso has a foot bridge that will take you to the Mercado area of Juarez. There is busy foot traffic during the day because people are going to and from work.
Many people have preconceived notions when traveling to US/Mexico border cities. Many of the notions are truly justified (especially in Tijuana) however I did not find this as must the case in Juarez.
When we were here, there were no other Americans in sight (Tuesday afternoon), which was not a problem at all! There was minimal haggling from locals and the most cat calls we got were from a few taxi drivers wanting to drive us to the Mercado.
All things considered, Juarez is a busy city with action and commerce going on all around. It was interesting to see what a Mexican city looks without the overwhelming American tourism push. Granted, Juarez is not known as hot spot for tourism anyway.
As I understood it, El Paso has 2 foot bridges into Juarez. We took the one less traveled to visit the Mercado (Market Area) of the city. Since we arrived late in the day, many of the vendors had closed shop. Therefore we were not able to do much shopping.
- Pros:Not infested with American tourists!
- Cons:Not the cleanest city..but I've seen worst
Some of this graffiti on the border wall describe how some Mexicans feel about Bush and American politics. Good thing... more travel advice
Shihar's Related Pages
Juárez Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Juárez
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Juárez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Juárez
Top 10 Pages
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 115 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Saint Augustine Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Island Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalupe Mountains National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Lake Tahoe Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos
- Acadia National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos