"New River Gorge National River, WV" Fayetteville by Shihar
Fayetteville Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 31 photos
Since VT does not have National Rivers as a destination location, I choose to put my trip under Fayetteville,WV since it is the closest town to the New River Gorge visitor center.
The New River Gorge Recreation park encompasses 70,000 acres along the New river between the towns of Fayetteville and Hinton, WV. The area is rich in history and fun outdoorsy entertainment.
The New is located in southern WV.The river is best known for its excellent fishing and whitewater boating. The park was established in 1978 to protect the free flowing waterways.
53 miles of the river and gorge, plus 40 tributaries are preserved as the New River, Gauley River and Bluestone River.
The Gauley River National Recreation Area is very close by as well. The Gauley is know for it's beauty ...but more so known for its incredible rapids.
I honestly did not have a great desire to go to WV. A good friend of mine convinced me that it is worth a visit. I'm really glad she did because we had a wonderful time!
There are approxiamtely 7 WV state parks nearby:
1) Carnifex Ferry Battlefield
2) Hawks Nest (check out my page)
4) Little Beaver
- Pros:Water recreation mecca!!
- Cons:Not much civilization nearby (we didn't care)
- In a nutshell:Must see for outdoor lovers!
The Gauley river is near by the New River. This is a dam controlled river and has much more intense rapids than the New.... more travel advice
THis cute state park is near by.. Check out out my Hawks bill pages.. more travel advice
Shihar's Related Pages
Fayetteville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Randall_Burt's new Fayetteville Page"
- "New River Gorge National River, WV"
- "Where is Fayetteville, WV?"
- "vertigo's new West Virginia rafting"
- "Lyris07's new Fayetteville Page"
- "NEW AND GAULY RIVERS"
- "New River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fayetteville
- Hotels in Fayetteville
- Restaurants in Fayetteville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fayetteville
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Fayetteville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fayetteville
Top 10 Pages
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 115 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Saint Augustine Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Island Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalupe Mountains National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Lake Tahoe Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos
- Acadia National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos