Shenandoah National Park Things to Do Tips by Shihar Top 5 Page for this destination
Shenandoah National Park Things to Do: 102 reviews and 281 photos
Stony Man Trail
This was probably the most populated trail we encountered. The view a the top was incredible! There is a short uphill climb before you reach the top.
Start of trail
Height- 86 ft waterfall
Location- Mile 42.6
Hike- 4.6 mile round trip
Climb- 1040 ft.
2nd highest waterfall in park. The climb back is spread over approximately 2.3 miles. 6 waterfalls in total on trail.
Directions: Skyland Drive access: 42.6
Bearfence trail pinnacle
Most of our time was spent on the trails. Here I will briefly describe the trails that we ventured on. I only wish that these pictures could capture the total effect of the trail enviroment.
Bearfence Trail- My Favorite!
1.2 mile roundtrip to 360 view. Short hike with rock scramble.
Lewis Mt. Trail waterfall
This was our last (and longest) trail we hiked. There is a waterfall with a small observation area for photos.
The return route is the Appalachian trail which is well maintained in National Parks.
Moderately strenous with steep and rocky areas 3.3 mile roundtrip from Big Meadows amphitheater.
Millers Head Trail
Please use caution when on this trail especially in the morning!
We saw a BEAR!!!!
It was very scary, and he took off running when he saw us. The trail has lots of huge boulders that the bears can hide behind. The hiking guide said the view at this observation point was stellar. Unfortunately, we did not make it there!
Earlier in the morning we saw a deer rubbing on a tree at the trail head as shown by the picture.
One of the many waterfalls on this trail
The beginning of the trail you will find yourself decsending to a trail of waterfalls. Save your energy ,because like most of the trails here, it's all uphill on way back!
Dark Hollow Falls is a side trail off of Rose River. It is a short steep uphill climb that can be exhausting after the Rose River trail.
Near the end of the trail on the fire road you will notice the Cave Cemetery. The most recent grave there was from 1996!
More Reviews (15)
- Skyland Drive
- See All Art and Eats
- See All Charlottlesville, VA
- See All Skyland Resort- Dining Hall
- Caves are fun!
Shihar's Related Pages
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park"
- "Shenandoah National Park, VA"
- "A Thin slice of country"
- "Worth a visit even in a foggy day!"
- "SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK"
- "Shenandoah National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shenandoah National Park
- Hotels in Shenandoah National Park
- Transportation in Shenandoah National Park
- Nightlife in Shenandoah National Park
- Restaurants in Shenandoah National Park
- Shopping in Shenandoah National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Shenandoah National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Valdes Island Hotels
- Chedworth Hotels
- Safwa Hotels
- De Goorn Hotels
- Piano di Sorrento
Badges & Stats in Shenandoah National Park
- 21 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Shenandoah National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shenandoah National Park
Photos in Shenandoah National ParkSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 115 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Augustine Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Island Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalupe Mountains National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Lake Tahoe Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos
- Acadia National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos
Latest Shenandoah National Park hotel reviews
- Skyland Resort
- 584 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Mathews Arm Campground
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2012
- Big Meadows Campground
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2012
- Lewis Mountain Campground
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Potomac Appalachian Trail Club Cabins
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 14, 2012