"The Stunning Underworld..." Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park by Shihar
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 374 photos
Unless you have the expensive camera equip to record your visit memories, expect to be disappointed when your camera fails to capture what your eyes are seeing.
I realize that it is extremely hard to tell in the picture above, but as you walk torwards the natural entrance you will be greeted by dozens of cave swallows. This was a great highlight for me since we were visiting too early in the year to see the Mexican free-tail bats. The swallows are also seasonal but they co-habitate with the bats nicely during the summers.
In 1930, Congress declared Carlsbad Caverns a National Park. Since this time, the Caverns have expanded to include almost 47,000 total acres and 100 caves altogether.
Today, experienced cavers are continually finding new unknown treasures within the park. Recently, cavers requested a permit to explore a weird wind blowing from a small cave, Misery Hole. This exploration uncovered Lechugilla Cave which expands about 112 miles and contains a very fragile ecosystem. Lechugilla is not open to the public and recent studies have shown that the cave contains microbes that break down and destroy cancer cells.
The Caverns were formed approximately 250 million years ago when this region was a reef covered by an inland sea. Evenually the sea evaporated and the reef was buried under salt and gypsum. After many natural geological happenings, the caves started to form drop by drop to be what they are today.This evolution of the ancient sea reef has also formed the nearby Guadalupe Mt. National Park.
There is about a 7 mile drive to the Visitor center. While on the drive you will see several types of agave,yucca, cacti and many other desert loving plants
The park is located off US 62/180, 20 miles southwest of Carlsbad, NM and 164 miles east of El Paso, TX.
G-rated please!-This is a family attraction?! The Breast is one of the famously named decor in the caves.
Will Rogers proclaimed the caverns to be "the Grand Cayon with a roof on it".
Here the Chihuahuan Desert has helped develop one of the worlds most deepest, largest, and ornate caverns ever discovered.
- Pros:Bellows of the Earth not commonly seen
- Cons:Don't go tired or hungry!! Can be overwhelming...
It is very dark inside.. your eyes will of course adjust ,but your camera will not ,even with flash. Here are the best... more travel advice
It you visit the Park during the the Bat season, the bat flight is truly something to witness. Unforunately, we were not... more travel advice
Shihar's Related Pages
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Carlsbad Caverns National Park Page"
- "Carlsbad Caverns - it blew my mind!"
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, One of My Favorite"
- "Carlsbad Cavern: Its Whats Down Below That Counts"
- "The Stunning Underworld..."
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico, US"
- "A Hobbyist's Thoughts on Cave Photography"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Hotels in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Transportation in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Nightlife in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Restaurants in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Shopping in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Carlsbad Caverns National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 115 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Saint Augustine Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Island Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalupe Mountains National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Lake Tahoe Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos
- Acadia National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos