"Knub in the Sky.." Pilot Mountain State Park by Shihar
Pilot Mountain State Park Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 18 photos
As you approach from any direction, you will see Pilot Mt rising more than 1400 ft. above the Piedmont plateau in NC.
This mountain range doesn't get as much attention as it's famous cousin, the Smokies, but it a great spot to visit.
The knub in the sky has endured millions of years of erosion. Pilot mountain has 2 main pinnacles. The little pinnacle is connected to the Big pinnacle by a narrow saddle.
This park is located in Surry and Yadkin counties. It is located 24 miles north of Winston-Salem (you can see the city from little pinnacle overlook) and 14 miles south of Mount Airy.
Located close by are 2 other great state parks: Stone Mountain State Park and Hanging Rock State Park.
The drive is about 2.5 hours from Raleigh, NC.
The top of the knob is a bird sanctuary. Therefore, climbing/rappelling is not permitted on the Big pinnacle. However, there are other designated areas for rock climbing.
Here are other activities available:
- Pros:Great weekend adventure!
This trail is about 45 minutes with moderately sloped path along the bottom of the knub. There are tall and impressive... more travel advice
Shihar's Related Pages
Pilot Mountain State Park Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pilot Mountain State Park
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Pilot Mountain State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pilot Mountain State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 115 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Saint Augustine Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Island Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalupe Mountains National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Lake Tahoe Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos
- Acadia National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos