"Cherokee Nation- NC" Top 5 Page for this destination Cherokee by Shihar
Cherokee Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 70 photos
This little town has grown incredibly in the past year due to the development of casinos.
I've always felt sorry for this town. There is a strong under current of depression and desperation. I haven't spent a whole lot of time being a tourist here.
Much of the tourism that Cherokee gets is from people passing through in route to the Smokey mountains.
Hopefully the casinos will bring the community much needed income. There were tourists buses coming and going at a regular rate.
The casinos have been developed by the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.
To get a more comprehensive idea of the town, visit these websites:
The town is "dry". You are unable to buy alcohol at any location within town limits(including the casinos). To buy alcohol, you will need to go to the nearest town- Silva.
However, There is no problem with smoking in the casinos. The smoke is suffocating and lead to a unpleasant experience. We were in Harrah's for maybe 20 minutes until we had to leave.
- Pros:Not too much... But I have hopes for the town in the future
- Cons:Too much!
- In a nutshell:Town near the Smokies.
We wanted to see the new Harrah's casino. The casino itself was a huge disappointment. All the gaming was computerized... more travel advice
We ate at two different locations in Cherokee. Both were really bad... Paul's looked like a innocent and friendly... more travel advice
Shihar's Related Pages
Cherokee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From ancient times to new commercialism"
- "Cherokee Nation- NC"
- "Fun Camping in Cherokee"
- "Cherokee North Carolina"
- "Indian Town entrance to Great Smoky Mountains"
- "Is this really our Native American heritage?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cherokee
- Hotels in Cherokee
- Restaurants in Cherokee
- Shopping in Cherokee
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cherokee
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Cherokee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cherokee
Photos in CherokeeSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 115 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Augustine Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Island Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalupe Mountains National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Lake Tahoe Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos
- Acadia National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos
Latest Cherokee hotel reviews
- Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel
- 1077 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Ramada Limited Cherokee
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Comfort Inn - Cherokee
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Days Inn Cherokee/Smokey Mountains
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Hampton Inn Cherokee
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013