"Craters Of The Moon National Monument!!" Craters of the Moon National Monument by Shihar

What a wonderful surprise

This National "Monument" in South Eastern Idaho turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. Like I've stated many times before on my pages, pictures do no justice!

The monument to located about 18 miles southwest of Arco, ID. The area has a campground,self-guiding trails and other activities.

The region is hot and dry in the summer and cold,snowy in the winter.

Why they label this a "monument" I may never know. I will research this further.

Arial View of Craters of the Moon

This place was truly unique! After driving over 3 hours from West Yellowstone in mainly flat Idaho praire land, we weren't expecting a whole lot. As you approach Craters.. you will notice that the landscape starts to look a little funny.

CoTM became a National Monument in 1924, then in 2000 expanded to include the Great Rift Zone, an area over 50 miles long.

There are 2000 insects, 198 bird species, 59 mammals, and 10 reptile species that call this moon-like landscape home.

"The strangest 75 square miles in North America"

What appears at first to being boring landscape turns out to be full of surprises.

Along the 7 mile road loop you will come upon the following sites:
North Crater Flow, Devils Orchard, Inferno Cone Viewpoint, Spatter Cone Area, Trails to Tree Molds ,and Cave area.

Surface patterns here are that of typical basaltic lava associated with volcanos.

• Pros:Great sites, worth a day visit!
  • Cons:Middle of nowhere!
  • In a nutshell:Worth seeing at least once in your life!
  • Last visit to Craters of the Moon National Monument: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2005

• jmz2007's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 1:38 AM

The Monument sitting in the middle of nowhere, can we expect to find at least a picnic area onsite?

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Always wanted to see this place. Thank you for sharing!

• jungles's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 12:21 PM

I don't think I ever thanked you for visiting my pages last month, so belated thanks :-) Very interesting landscape here at this 'monument;' I'll have to check it out one day.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 5:34 AM

This is another part of America I've always wanted to visit, it really looks amazing. Spelunking in those caves must have been quite an experience. Great page and photos!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 2:11 PM

Definitely a different sort of landscape in this place that I had not heard of before!!

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2006 at 3:34 PM

i had never heard of this place...but u intruiged me and now it's on my "to do" list;thanks

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 5:09 PM

Great page, I was just there this fall also!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2005 at 12:05 AM

Wow! What an intriguing place!

Shihar

“"Traveling more often is important for your health and happiness"-fortune cookie”

Badges & Stats in Craters of the Moon National Monument

Have you been to Craters of the Moon National Monument?

Latest Activity in Craters of the Moon National Monument