"Ooooh! It was freeezing COLD in Utah!" Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City by GracesTrips
Salt Lake City Travel Guide: 524 reviews and 1,255 photos
OMG! Where do I start! How about that I booked a 3 hour flight from Burbank to Salt Lake City. We arrived at our gate to learn the plane is delayed for 2 hours. An hour later, the plane is now delayed 3 hours. An hour after that, it is still 3 hours so we decided to find the bar and have a drink. That would make the departure time 9:05pm. So, we arrived back at our gate at 8:30pm. WHAT! The plane came and left. We missed our flight. Southwest has sooo many flights scheduled, we were able to catch another plane to Vegas and connect from there to SLC. We arrived in Vegas at 10pm. The plane we need to connect on is delayed until 1:30am. Ugh! At least we departed at 1:30am. Arrived in Utah at 3:00am. Called the hotel to see if they had a shuttle. Yes, they said and would be there in 10 minutes. Got our luggage and there is the Hilton Shuttle. Jumped on and we arrive at the hotel to check in. Hmmmm, that's funny, we don't have reservations for you they tell us. Showed them the confirmation and ha!ha! we're at the wrong Hilton. There are three Hilton's in SLC. Turned out the airport Hilton has a shuttle going back and forth 24 hours a day. The Hilton we called, the shuttle was still waiting for us at the airport. Luckily, that shuttle came to get us from the airport Hilton. So, we arrived at our hotel at 4am. What was supposed to take 3 hours turned out to be 12 hours! Anyway, we made the best of it and hoped the rest of our trip will be better and it was!
Since we arrived so late Friday morning, we decided to not ski the first day. Instead, checked out the city and the nearby ski areas. Salt Lake City looked so beautiful with the snow all over. The roads are a bit confusing in downtown. We finally figured out that this was structured like a grid. The center of the "universe" was the Mormon Temple. The streets were numbered 100 South, 100 East, 100 West, 100 North would be the first block going around the Temple. 200 South, 200 East, 200 North and 200 West would be the second block going around the Temple and so on. We didn't do too much on our trip. We mostly wanted to ski and enjoyed some wonderful dinners at various restaurants.
Spending New Years in SLC is not what you want to do. There wasn't much going on and we tried to find something we would find entertaining. We ended up in our hotel room with a bottle of champagne which took some effort to get. At least we had a scrumptious meal for dinner that evening. Ended up watching U2 in concert on the TV which brought back a lot of memories for me when I saw the concert in Los Angeles.
- Pros:Great Ski Areas!
- Cons:No liquor!
We didn't make reservations for this particular evening so we drove around until we saw somethint appealing. The food... more travel advice
Not sure why this is called the Village Inn because there is no hotel/motel attached to it. We were just happy to... more travel advice
Written Jan 23, 2008
Catholic Cemetery in Salt Lake City
Written Jan 23, 2008
Miscellaneous Photos 2007
GracesTrips' Related Pages
Salt Lake City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"
- "Looking up Ancestors"
- "Salt Lake City"
- "My Home Town"
- "Ooooh! It was freeezing COLD in Utah!"
- "Mormans, Salt & Beehives....."
- "Salt Lake City: Why have just one?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salt Lake City
- Hotels in Salt Lake City
- Transportation in Salt Lake City
- Nightlife in Salt Lake City
- Restaurants in Salt Lake City
- Shopping in Salt Lake City
- Warnings and Dangers in Salt Lake City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salt Lake City
- 21 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Salt Lake City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salt Lake City
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: where to stay?"
- Commented on one of GracesTrips's Salt Lake City tips
- Wrote a Review Interactive Map in Salt Lake City Transportation
- updated a Salt Lake City Travelogue "Catholic Cemetery in Salt Lake City"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Catholic Cemetery in Salt Lake City"
Photos in Salt Lake CitySee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 113 reviews, 384 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 73 reviews, 337 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paso Robles Intro, 51 reviews, 195 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 41 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 38 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 29 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 27 reviews, 152 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 42 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 27 reviews, 140 photos, 6 travelogues