"Ooooh! It was freeezing COLD in Utah!" Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City by GracesTrips

Salt Lake City Travel Guide: 528 reviews and 1,276 photos

OMG! Where do I start! How about that I booked a 3 hour flight from Burbank to Salt Lake City. We arrived at our gate to learn the plane is delayed for 2 hours. An hour later, the plane is now delayed 3 hours. An hour after that, it is still 3 hours so we decided to find the bar and have a drink. That would make the departure time 9:05pm. So, we arrived back at our gate at 8:30pm. WHAT! The plane came and left. We missed our flight. Southwest has sooo many flights scheduled, we were able to catch another plane to Vegas and connect from there to SLC. We arrived in Vegas at 10pm. The plane we need to connect on is delayed until 1:30am. Ugh! At least we departed at 1:30am. Arrived in Utah at 3:00am. Called the hotel to see if they had a shuttle. Yes, they said and would be there in 10 minutes. Got our luggage and there is the Hilton Shuttle. Jumped on and we arrive at the hotel to check in. Hmmmm, that's funny, we don't have reservations for you they tell us. Showed them the confirmation and ha!ha! we're at the wrong Hilton. There are three Hilton's in SLC. Turned out the airport Hilton has a shuttle going back and forth 24 hours a day. The Hilton we called, the shuttle was still waiting for us at the airport. Luckily, that shuttle came to get us from the airport Hilton. So, we arrived at our hotel at 4am. What was supposed to take 3 hours turned out to be 12 hours! Anyway, we made the best of it and hoped the rest of our trip will be better and it was!

Since we arrived so late Friday morning, we decided to not ski the first day. Instead, checked out the city and the nearby ski areas. Salt Lake City looked so beautiful with the snow all over. The roads are a bit confusing in downtown. We finally figured out that this was structured like a grid. The center of the "universe" was the Mormon Temple. The streets were numbered 100 South, 100 East, 100 West, 100 North would be the first block going around the Temple. 200 South, 200 East, 200 North and 200 West would be the second block going around the Temple and so on. We didn't do too much on our trip. We mostly wanted to ski and enjoyed some wonderful dinners at various restaurants.

Spending New Years in SLC is not what you want to do. There wasn't much going on and we tried to find something we would find entertaining. We ended up in our hotel room with a bottle of champagne which took some effort to get. At least we had a scrumptious meal for dinner that evening. Ended up watching U2 in concert on the TV which brought back a lot of memories for me when I saw the concert in Los Angeles.

• Pros:Great Ski Areas!
  • Cons:No liquor!
  • Last visit to Salt Lake City: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 4, 2008

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Love the view from your hotel! heh heh Still trying to figure out if we will fly into SLC or Vegas to see Southern Utah. The food looks good, though! ~ Helen

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2009 at 4:16 AM

Nice tips Grace, would you believe I have NEVER seen snow. I just dont like to be cold.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Beautiful place! Our VT friend Cameron Beatty lives in Salt Lake city. He came here in Kolkata for a month on 15th March last year. No wonder it was too hot for him. But he never complained. Have a great day & sunshine!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Nice view with snow. Hope your ski holiday went well.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Excellent and detailed tips of Salt Lake City. I can go dry but must have my caffeine. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

• stonefree's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM

I love the top story:D Happy New Year, Trippin' Grace! And,wow, Alta looks great!!!

• lostsooner55's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2008 at 8:21 PM

I think Salt Lake City is the backdoor for the Bermuda Triangle. I don't believe anyone ever travels there without some kind of travel snafu, lol. Gary

• gogonicetrip's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Hi Grace I am glad to hear that you had great time in SLC. Masa

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2008 at 6:00 AM

Blimey- what a palava! You must've been soo tired! Glad you enjoyed it- eventually:-) D. xx

• Eiji's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Very interesting photos!

GracesTrips

“So many places, so little time.....”

Badges & Stats in Salt Lake City

Have you been to Salt Lake City?

Photos in Salt Lake City