"Is this Hawaii?" Waikiki by GracesTrips
Waikiki Travel Guide: 324 reviews and 810 photos
When someone mentions Hawaii, you immediately invision sandy aqua beaches, swaying palm trees and the cool soft breezes. But not exactly so in Waikiki. Fortunately for us, we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which I highly recommend if you can afford it. It was a very nice hotel not in the heart of the Waikiki shopping area where more of the hotels are located. The Hilton is still close enough to the area that you can hop on a bus or hail a taxi (and not cost a fortune to get there). The International Market place was not very appealing to me. I think they sold a lot of what I call "crap". But since I've read about it here on VT, I thought I should at least see it. Next time I'm in Waikiki, I don't have to waste any time in this part of town. Being from SoCal, we have a ton of shopping available to us. The internet really allows you to shop, virtually, anywhere in the world! So, why spend your vacation shopping? I bought my souvenirs to take back home from the ABC store (also a recommendation from VT which I liked) and spent the rest of our vacation site seeing, enjoying the beaches and dining out.
So, in other words, spend some time outside of Waikiki and see what Oahu really has to offer. I can't say enough about the North Shore area of the island! So, see my travel page on Haleiwa. I didn't get a chance to see the interior of the island. It would have been nice to see the East Shore, too!
See my Hilton Hawaii Village photos and comments under the hotel tip. The photo below was taken from the 12th floor of the Rainbow Tower where we stayed. Isn't that some view?!
- Pros:In the heart of town, if you like that sort of thing
- Cons:You don't feel like you're in paradise
Renting a car in Hawaii is about what it cost anywhere else in the U.S. The "catch" in renting a car in Waikiki is that... more travel advice
Enjoyed the stay here very much! Not the best hotel I've ever stayed in but very comfortable and reasonable for the... more travel advice
GracesTrips' Related Pages
Waikiki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WAIKIKI-A TRUE PARADISE"
- "Waikiki: Big City on the border of Paradise"
- "WAIKIKI BEACH HAWAII"
- "Waikiki Beach Oahu, it is a very beautiful Beach."
- "Wakiki Hawaii"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waikiki
- Hotels in Waikiki
- Transportation in Waikiki
- Nightlife in Waikiki
- Restaurants in Waikiki
- Shopping in Waikiki
- Warnings and Dangers in Waikiki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waikiki
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Waikiki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waikiki
Photos in WaikikiSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 109 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 69 reviews, 317 photos, 12 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 41 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 38 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paso Robles Intro, 41 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 29 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 27 reviews, 140 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 23 reviews, 128 photos, 6 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 26 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues