"Go See Chinatown!" Honolulu by GracesTrips

Honolulu Travel Guide: 1,996 reviews and 4,752 photos

Okay, so not all of Honolulu is Chinatown. Just a very small section. But since I didn't do too much wandering about, this page is dedicated to Chinatown. The Roy's Restaurant tip is NOT in Chinatown but south of Diamond Head but still in Honolulu.

I love to visit cultural/ethnic towns because they tend to have interesting things to eat, see and buy. So, I spent a few hours in Chinatown. Luckily, I found parking. Parking in Waikiki and Honolulu is tough. It's better to take the bus, trolley or taxi. But since I had a rented car, I took advantage of having it. I was able to find parking on Maunakea Street. Chinatown is there with cross streets at Beretania St., King St., Pauahi St. and Smith St.

We tried to visit Chinatown at night. Don't bother. The area is pretty much shut down after 8 pm. You might be able to find a restaurant open but all the retail and grocery stores are closed.

I didn't get a picture of the bakery but I stopped into one. The Chinese make these wonderful pastries with meat in them. Char siu bau is my favorite. Sometimes baked or steamed, with a sweet barbecue pork filling. They make them with curry, too, but I haven't tried those yet. They also make a "moon cake" which has a filling of sweetened mashed beans. The Japanese make them with azuki beans (which are almost black) but the moon cakes are better (I think). So, if you happen upon a Chinese bakery, you should try them out!

Don't miss my tips on shopping. I have some more photos I couldn't put on this page.

Also, check out my pages on Waikiki, Pearl City & Haleiwa if you are visiting Oahu!

• Pros:Low budget activity, great shopping deals!
  • Cons:A "seedy" area probably not too safe in the evening
  • Last visit to Honolulu: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2008

Comments

GracesTrips

“So many places, so little time.....”

Badges & Stats in Honolulu

Have you been to Honolulu?

Latest Activity in Honolulu