"Go See Chinatown!" Honolulu by GracesTrips
Honolulu Travel Guide: 2,004 reviews and 4,786 photos
Okay, so not all of Honolulu is Chinatown. Just a very small section. But since I didn't do too much wandering about, this page is dedicated to Chinatown. The Roy's Restaurant tip is NOT in Chinatown but south of Diamond Head but still in Honolulu.
I love to visit cultural/ethnic towns because they tend to have interesting things to eat, see and buy. So, I spent a few hours in Chinatown. Luckily, I found parking. Parking in Waikiki and Honolulu is tough. It's better to take the bus, trolley or taxi. But since I had a rented car, I took advantage of having it. I was able to find parking on Maunakea Street. Chinatown is there with cross streets at Beretania St., King St., Pauahi St. and Smith St.
We tried to visit Chinatown at night. Don't bother. The area is pretty much shut down after 8 pm. You might be able to find a restaurant open but all the retail and grocery stores are closed.
I didn't get a picture of the bakery but I stopped into one. The Chinese make these wonderful pastries with meat in them. Char siu bau is my favorite. Sometimes baked or steamed, with a sweet barbecue pork filling. They make them with curry, too, but I haven't tried those yet. They also make a "moon cake" which has a filling of sweetened mashed beans. The Japanese make them with azuki beans (which are almost black) but the moon cakes are better (I think). So, if you happen upon a Chinese bakery, you should try them out!
Don't miss my tips on shopping. I have some more photos I couldn't put on this page.
- Pros:Low budget activity, great shopping deals!
- Cons:A "seedy" area probably not too safe in the evening
So, our first time in Hawaii, you gotta do a luau! I hear they can be pretty pricey! Fortunately for us, we happen to... more travel advice
Most of the people shopping in Chinatown are shopping for food. I bought some apple bananas, they were very good and... more travel advice
GracesTrips' Related Pages
Honolulu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Living in Honolulu"
- "Home Away From Home"
- "THE REAL HAWAII IS HONOLULU"
- "Waikiki - Number one attraction!"
- "December 7 1941, A Date That Will Live In Infamy."
- "The family in Hawaii for 6 months"
- "Hawaiian Sunsets."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honolulu
- Hotels in Honolulu
- Transportation in Honolulu
- Nightlife in Honolulu
- Restaurants in Honolulu
- Shopping in Honolulu
- Warnings and Dangers in Honolulu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Honolulu
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Honolulu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honolulu
Photos in HonoluluSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 116 reviews, 396 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 83 reviews, 379 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paso Robles Intro, 60 reviews, 238 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 41 reviews, 166 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 38 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 29 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 27 reviews, 152 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 42 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues