"Island Paradise Not Too Far Away!" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Catalina Island by GracesTrips

Santa Catalina Island Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 462 photos

This is a place you can visit for a day or for a weekend. The boat ride over is about 1 hour and 10 minutes one way and costs about $59 per person round trip with many departure areas from Los Angeles. There are soooo many activities available to experience on Catalina. The dining experience is so-so but we did enjoy a very superb, classy meal at the Country Club Restaurant. The ambience was wonderful with a great view of the harbor. Hope you get a chance to visit if you have never been!

My third trip to Catalina, October 2007, to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. We spent the weekend from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon. We attended one of the venues at the Jazz Trax Festival - Kirk Whalum (he is awesome!). My baby and her boyfriend came on Saturday just to spend the day. We rented a golf cart and drove around the designated areas where the rented carts are allowed to go. We played some miniature golf. The town of Avalon is not that big. Since, my daughter and her boyfriend had not been to Avalon before, we walked by all the shops and had dinner at the Channel House. On our boat ride back, on the Catalina Express, we had a slight delay. Apparently, the CE is one of the fastest boats in the local waters. When the coast guard feels they cannot arrive to a situation fast enough, they will ask the CE to be a first responder to help out. Well, on our way back to Long Beach, there was an unmanned boat. The thought was he went overboard because the wind was pretty strong and the waves were very choppy. Turned out, he was a diver and went out to sea, by himself. A scary moment turned out to be okay and learned something new about the Catalina Express.

Golf Cart Ride Video on Catalina YouTube

• Last visit to Santa Catalina Island: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 23, 2007

• Oct 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

A review of a tour they didn't take? The bus goes inland on the old stagecoach trail. Learn about the island's history & see native wildlife, much of it unique to the Channel Islands. You will see buffalo that roam free over the island's 42,000 acres.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Catalina is one of my favourites in California but I have never been in the casino, because we just spend time outside (always good weather when we pass by)...nice tips, Norman :)

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2008 at 6:55 AM

You had a nice holiday, Grace.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 4:55 AM

Woo! Grace. Its a wonderful resort area. Actually California seems to have all nice beeches and sea-coast. Why go to other places???

• User101's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2008 at 9:16 AM

Great page !! Thanks for all the info'.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Looks like a lot of fun on Santa Calalina island :) I really want to go on a yellow submarine!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Someone suggested that my Grandma might like to make the trip here but I think it's much too active for her. Will keep in mind for another trip!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Great page and very good suggestions on Tourist trap tip.

• Hewer's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Brilliant stuff here Grace!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Nice job with your Catalina pages. Looks like it has grown a bit since my camp counselor days in the '70's!

GracesTrips

“So many places, so little time.....”

Badges & Stats in Santa Catalina Island

Have you been to Santa Catalina Island?

Photos in Santa Catalina Island