Venice Shopping Tips by GracesTrips
Venice Shopping: 278 reviews and 428 photos
Murano glass treasures are amazing! Also, over priced! Buyer beware! For example, I found a little, contorted glass bowl with an opalescent hue that I really wanted. One store had it for €45. I thought it was too expensive and proceeded to go back to another store that had a similar bowl I liked and found they wanted €78. Well, this was no bigger than a small candy dish or dip bowl so for that much money I passed on buying it. To my good fortune, a couple months later, I found the same bowl (from Murano) in a Crate & Barrel store here in the states. I bought it for US$18 or €11 and bought a gigantic bowl for US$36 or €23! I was estatic with my find!
But, I did purchase a beautiful beaded necklace with round Murano beads and polished stones for $78 which I know I would not be able to find back at home. So, use your judgment wisely in making purchases of Murano glass.
I am an HRC pin collector. As I travel, I look for the opportunity to collect more pins. This Hard Rock Cafe in Venice was a little hard to find even though it is close to Piazza San Marcos. We walked up and down some of the narrow streets and I happen to see the sign by chance. I would have loved to collect pins from the HRC in Florence but it was not due to open until June (the following month!). I did collect my pins in Rome. So, I was pretty happy with my purchases.
Address: Bacino Orseolo San Marco, 1192, 1-30124
Venice is know for Carnevale which is celebrated in February each year. Elaborate costumes are worn along with masks. Originally was a celebration of marriages but now just as a festival. Mask shops can be found all over Venice and throughout Italy. The price of these masks can be quite high. I didn't end of buying one just because I worried I would damage it transporting it home. I was fortunate to find a beautiful mask at Pier One Imports (made in Venice, Italy) and bought that instead.
I can't remember where we saw this at but it was fun to see a produce market on a boat. We didn't see more than this one but the novelty that you can go anywhere to sell your goods was a fantastic concept! I wish hotel rooms came equiped with kitchens because it was always so tempting to buy food and be able to prepare our own meals!
Theme: Food and Drink
This was an amazing store with lots and lots and lots of glass vases, dishes, statues, sculptures, etc. Buying something like this and transporting it home is a challenge I didn't want to deal with. So, we looked and ahhhed at all the fantastic things and went home empty handed. At this point, we had not went to Murano and there were even more fantastic finds over there!
Address: San Marco, 2088 Via XXII Marzo, Venezia
On our travels, my boyfriend and I often look at art for purchase as a souvenir, an expensive souvenir! And, we just happen to be keeping an eye out for a sculpture piece to put in the entry way of our home. This gallery had the most amazing pieces that were mobile, spinned around, twirled! They were fantastic. But....out of our price range. The piece out front of the gallery was valued about €30,000.00 or US$44,000.00. So, we did not purchase anything. For those of you who can afford something in this price range, it would be a worthwhile acquisition. Very cool gallery!
Address: 2606 Campo San Maurizio San Marco, Venice
Directions: Where the musical instrument museum is located.
The missing necklace was the one I bought
This was a wonderful jewelry store with unique items that I found very interesting. I'm always on the hunt to find a souvenir from another country that I can treasure forever and jewelry is wonderful when you can't find a piece no where else in the world.
I bought a unique necklace that appears to be a gold mesh chain that you tie around your neck. The gold mesh chain was actually fabric, dipped in 18 karat gold. Soft to the touch. It is quite beautiful. It's located down a busy walking street with many, many shops so to find this store with such nice quality items was a surprise.
I couldn't find a website but the address is correct. My receipt says Ditta Gibigiana Di Lanza, Venezia and another receipt says Gibigiana, Cannaregio 159, Venezia. They do take American Express!
Address: Sestiere Cannaregio, 159/a, 30121 Venezia
Other Contact: 041.2449201
More Reviews (17)
- See All Public Boat Transportation - Water Bus
- See All The Music Museum or Museo della Musica
- See All A little different from typical Italian...
GracesTrips' Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 24 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: what makes a country top..."
- updated a Venice Travel Page "Venice, the City of Canals"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Miscellaneous Pics of Venice Part III"
- Wrote a Review Public Boat Transportation - Water Bus in Venice Transportation
- Commented on one of ViajesdelMundo's Venice travel pages
Photos in VeniceSee All Photos (131)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 97 reviews, 506 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 117 reviews, 407 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 53 reviews, 336 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paso Robles Intro, 68 reviews, 269 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 27 reviews, 196 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 41 reviews, 166 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 36 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 42 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 29 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (81)
- Palazzo Ducale - Doge's Palace- 225 Reviews, 483 Photos
- Gondola- 169 Reviews, 284 Photos
- Campanile di San Marco- 156 Reviews, 293 Photos
- Piazza San Marco- 310 Reviews, 513 Photos
- Rialto Bridge- 175 Reviews, 302 Photos
- Basilica di San Marco- 251 Reviews, 468 Photos
- Castello District - Sestiere Castello- 38 Reviews, 129 Photos
- Murano Island- 58 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Ponte dei Sospiri- 138 Reviews, 210 Photos
- Canal Grande- 203 Reviews, 357 Photos
See All Venice Things to Do