"I haven't been somewhere more Tropical than Krabi!" Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi by GracesTrips

Krabi Travel Guide: 824 reviews and 2,301 photos

October in Thailand is still considered the rainy season. But I think going in mid October was just fine. Your accomodations are slightly discounted because of the off season. It was just a 1 1/2 hour flight from Bangkok to Krabi. I made arrangements with the resort we were staying at to pick us up. We got into a very large air conditioned van that was quite comfortable and we drove for about 20 minutes to the boat. We hopped into a long tail boat that took about another 10 minutes to Railay East. We then walked over to Railay West (about 5 minutes) to check into our resort. And, then the adventure began!

Our first day in Railay, we arrived in the afternoon. We checked out the beach and was amazed at how warm the water was. I found it unusual that the staff at the Sand and Sea Resort wore soccer shirts but that was all explained in the early evening hours. They set up a soccer field on the beach and played soccer against the staff of neighboring resorts. We also noticed the staff lives on the premises of the resort but way in the back, in tiny living spaces. The sunsets was just fabulous and took a very long time! The temperatures never really cools down. Even in the late evening, early morning hours it's quite warm and humid. Sometimes, there was a slight breeze and that felt good.

The next day we rented a kayak and paddled out to sea. We stayed along the coast and there is lots to explore. We found a tiny section of beach to land on and took a swim in the water. That afternoon, we walked over to Railey East and explored the Diamond Cave. It wasn't too difficult to find. It appeared a structure was being built in front of it to welcome visitors to the cave. We enjoyed our evening meals at the Rayavadee Resort. It's quite expensive if you have wine along with your meals but well worth it. The food is wonderfully delicious and the service there is phenomenal! We were entertained by musicians performing traditional Thai music and beautifully, costumed dancers. This was an amazing experience!

On our third day, we took a snorkeling tour. We go to various local islands and spend time at each and snorkel around. We saw monkeys on Poda Island. A goose on Chicken Island where we also had lunch. The water was still murky around the islands but much more clear than on Railay. I really think this has to do with the rainy season. The high season in Thailand is from November though March and it's November through January when it's most desireable to go.

On our fourth day, we went to Ao Nang which is about 15 minutes north of Railay by boat. We didn't really have a plan to do this but decided to go check it out. We also didn't plan to rent a motorbike which was extremely cheap to do. 200 baht or US$6 for the entire day! There are not too many roads to take so we just went where we could. Ah ha! We drove past Nosey's Elephant Farm! We turned back and decided to do an elephant trek! This was great! The elephants have a lot of personality and don't like to be told what to do. But in the end, they seem to really enjoy their treats of bananas and cucumbers.

There are no roads in Railay. To go anywhere else, you must travel by boat. Everything else is in walking distance in Railay. Getting in and out of the long tail boats (most of the time) requires you to get your feet wet. So, wearing socks here just doesn't work. Railay West is much more beautiful and comfortable than having to stay in Railay East but I'm sure the price of the accomodations reflect this. Overall, this was a very enjoyable trip! You get to see and experience things that are just not possible anywhere else in the world. The people were very nice and kind. I would definitely recommend for anyone to come visit Thailand. It's very affordable and there is lots to see and do!

• Last visit to Krabi: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 17, 2011

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Nice tips grace

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I love this page Grace!! What an amazing adventure you had! :o) Oh and your pix are stunning!!...especially the underwater and sunset/sunrise pix...WoW!! :o) A pleasure to read. Ann xx

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Holy basil, Grace - great travelogs and tips here! And wonderful photos! this is a great page - makes me crazy to want to ride an elephant. :) Those little cottages look like a piece of heaven...

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Great page, this sounds like a lovely place to visit! The pictures are so beautiful.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I have been revisiting your pages. It's amazing!

• MITNIC's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Excellent photos and informative tips, thanks.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Did not get to Krabi, looks like I should have included it. I loved the elephant trekking ;-)

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Lovely tips, have not been to Krabi, we are busy trying to find a destination for July. Krabi looks great.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM

We have never heard of Krabi before, but it looks beautiful. Thanks for the info and tips.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 7:08 AM

How fascinating; I hadn't heard of this place before. So great u did that Elephant Trek!! The only time I rode one there was nothing between him and me! but was not a long ride like yrs! great photos.

GracesTrips

“So many places, so little time.....”

Badges & Stats in Krabi