Bangkok Things to Do Tips by GracesTrips
Bangkok Things to Do: 2,815 reviews and 5,484 photos
The Baiyoke Sky Hotel has an amazing, rotating viewing deck up on the 84th floor! There is also a regular viewing deck on the 77th floor which we did not go to. Opened Daily from 10:30am to 11pm on weekdays and from 9:30am to 11pm on weekends.
I'm not sure what the cost is if you just want to go up to the viewing decks. You would have to pay for it on the ground level as you cannot enter the elevators unless you show your receipt. We dined at Stella's Palace for dinner which they allowed us up to the viewing decks at no extra cost.
The Views are just amazing and definitely worthwhile. Especially at night! Bangkok is all lit up!
Address: 222 Rajprarop Road, Rajthevee, Bangkok 10400
Directions: Near the Pratunam Market
Other Contact: 066.026.563.456
This was also a place our Tuk-Tuk driver said he would take us to and he did so as promised immediately. He pointed away through at a gate and said go through there and climb to the top and he would wait for us. So, here is a fact - it's 318 steps to get to the top. Sounds like a lot but climbing the Arc d'Triomphe was much worse. You do have some really great views from the top. Another fact - the temple served as the capital's crematorium in the late 18th century. Creep, huh?!
Address: Between Boriphat Road and Lan Luang Road
The Tallest Standing Buddha Temple is what our tuk-tuk driver said he would take us to. Of course, not before taking us to a couple of retail stores before we realized that he must get kick backs from retailers who want tourists to stop off at their establishments. Anyway, we finally made it here and sent our tuk-tuk driver on his way because we didn't want to waste the rest of our day shopping. It stands 32 meters high (over 100 feet). Suppose to be the tallest Buddha in the world. The temples, themselves, are not as impressive as Wat Phra Kaew or Wat Pho.
Address: 114 Wisut Kasat Road, Banglamphu
Directions: Bang Khun Phrom Sub-District, Phra Nakorn District, near by newly open Rama VIII bridge and Bank of Thailand. Old City part of Bangkok.
Wow, it's really, really big! And, very, very gold! What a sight! It's not very far from the Grand Palace so you should see both on the same day to maximize your site seeing. After visiting one or the other, a tuk-tuk drivers might concoct a story that you can't visit the other temple just at that moment because of some national ceremony going on. He'll offer to take you to other sites and bring you back. Don't buy into this - see my Bangkok travel page for the tuk-tuk story. Anyway, this is definitely something you should see if you go to Bangkok. The temple grounds are also quite a sight to see as well.
When we were there, there was some speech over the PA system on the grounds. It appeared one of the monks were speaking about something. Other Thai people were sitting around or napping on the premises in designated areas. These areas were marked "For Thai People Only".
Address: Tha Tien Pier, Chao Phraya River, Bangkok
Directions: The entrance to Wat Pho is on Chetuphon road. Entrance is 20B. It's open every day, opening hours are from 08.00am to 5.00pm, with a break from 12.00pm to 1.00pm.
The Gold is just magnificent and it's all over. The Temple is separate from the Grand Palace which is the King and Queen's residence in Bangkok. The Grand Palace is well guarded and military men march along the premises. There are restricted areas so watch where you think you might want to go. There seems to be only one way in and one way out, so make sure to grab a map. This Wat houses the Emerald Buddha. The Buddha is not as big as I thought it would be. Expect lots of people to be visiting the temple. Please see my travelogues for more photos.
The dress code restrictions are very, very strict. I didn't have to wear a shirt over the shirt I was wearing but my crop pants (well below my knees) was not acceptable. I had to wear a sarong so my legs were completely covered. It doesn't cost anything to use the sarong they will provide but you have to leave a deposit to ensure the return of the sarong.
It's open Daily 8:30am - 3:30pm. Cost of tickets is 200 baht (about US$6.35)
Address: Maharaj Pier, Chao Phraya, Bangkok
More Reviews (20)
- See All Thai Food by the River
- See All Hotel Booking Site
- See All Taxi
- Fun Fact
GracesTrips' Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Explore the World
- Elk Grove Village Hotels
- Marliano Hotels
- Koniakow Hotels
- Venice Beach Hotels
- Pulau Ketam
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 25 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
Photos in BangkokSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 109 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 69 reviews, 317 photos, 12 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 41 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 38 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paso Robles Intro, 41 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 29 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 27 reviews, 140 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 23 reviews, 128 photos, 6 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 26 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (72)
Latest Bangkok hotel reviews
- Aspen Suites Bangkok
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Navalai River Resort
- 428 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Sleep With Inn
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Niran Grand Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2012
- Pranee Building
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Chaleena Princess
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2013
- BBB Inn
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 6, 2013
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 13, 2013
- River View Guest House
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Maduzi Hotel
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Ibrik Resort by the River
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 23, 2013
- Asia Airport
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Adelphi Grande Bangkok
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- China Guest Inn
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Unico Grande Sukhumvit Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Grand Palace - Wat Phra Kaew- 394 Reviews, 748 Photos
- Floating Market- 116 Reviews, 225 Photos
- Wat Arun - Temple of the Dawn- 151 Reviews, 286 Photos
- Chatuchak Weekend Market- 105 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Wat Pho- 217 Reviews, 439 Photos
- Traditional Thai massage- 48 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Chao Phraya River- 107 Reviews, 196 Photos
- Ayuthaya - Old City- 50 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Baiyoke Tower- 27 Reviews, 79 Photos
- Wat Traimit - Temple of the Golden Buddha- 61 Reviews, 117 Photos
See All Bangkok Things to Do