"START TO DISCOVER NORTH AEGEAN PEARLS!FIRST:ASSOS" Assos by artonice
Assos Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 202 photos
Turkey's one of the most amazing part is North Aegea.With its fresh air,pure and usually quite beaches and bays.This region is not a touristical place for foreign tourists but for locals it's very popular.It's close to Istanbul,Izmir,Ankara,Bursa and Canakkale.In Turkey most popular holiday season is july and august.But this region is also amazing in June and September .Also it's quite and ready for discovering in May and October.
I have a passion for this region and want you to visit these places ,like you do for Istanbul or Mediterranian coasts.
There is also an airport for this region.You can reach there by plane (1 hour) from Istanbul and Ankara.
I recently came back from Assos and impressed by the place and took some pictures.
Assos is one of the most popular place of Edremit Bay.Behind this big amazing bay there are Kaz mountains -also known in anciant times Ida mountains- which gives the most oxygenated air around.
Assos is the ancient name of the village Behramkale .The village is situated within the 4 km long ramparts of Ancient Assos. At the highest point, which is at 238 metres, you will find the main ancient attraction which is the Pallas Athena temple built in doric order around 600 years B.C. In 1981 an archeological team has started excavating Assos and its surroundings, which they have been continuing up to today. Their archeological efforts have led to the discovery of a necropolis, amphitheatre, and an agora.
Amongst Assos' various famous inhabitants the most illustrious one is Aristoteles, who lived here for three years in which he founded a philosophy academy.
The charming and little marina of Assos has been in use since old times. Until the '50s of the nineteenth century it functioned as an export station for Oak tree fruit. The stone buildings that used to be storage houses for the Oak tree fruits have been now turned into boutique hotels and restaurants serving different kinds of fresh fish.
- Pros:small historical place waiting for to be dicovered by foreigners
- Cons:Crowded in the local holiday times
- In a nutshell:Start your north aegea discovery from amazing Assos
It's nice to come to Assos from Kucukkuyu.There are so many small bays to pass out. more travel advice
This part is called ''Iskele'' (small marina) .There are boutique hotels made of stone,narrow smalºl streets,some fish... more travel advice
artonice's Related Pages
Assos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Behramkale and Assos"
- "Assos - Behramkale"
- "splendid and unspoiled site facing lesbos"
- "Assos - Greek legacy overlooking the sea"
- "history and nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assos
- Hotels in Assos
- Transportation in Assos
- Restaurants in Assos
- Shopping in Assos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Assos
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Assos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assos
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fethiye Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 15 reviews, 35 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
- Figueres Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Verona Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Kefken Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos