"Falling in love with a country" Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan by ozalp

Bhutan Travel Guide: 233 reviews and 897 photos

How it became a passion

I am a complete ignorant about geography. I first heard about Bhutan in early 2008 or late 2007. It was a newsletter from a travel company called Fest. One of their guides, who would be my guide in this trip, wrote an emotional article about this country. I’ve read it and suddenly my heart started to beat for Bhutan. The news about it made me excited. I searched it a lot. I found out that a young Turkish woman (we are both members of an internet community called eksisozluk) is actually living there. I started to read her memories which she shared in this community. Day by day, Bhutan turned into a passion. One day same travel company sent me a mail about a package tour for Bhutan, Tibet and Nepal. It was a great opportunity and luckily one of my friends also wanted to go. We encouraged each other and found ourselves on the road.
Bhutan’s name in their language is Drukyul. It means “the land of the thunder dragon”. This point has affected my passion, too. I am very fond of dragons. I wanted to be (or at least have) a dragon once. If I were a dragon, I definitely prefer Bhutan.

How it turned into an obsession

The result: All three countries were amazing, but when I returned I realized that my Bhutan passion was changed into an obsession. I was talking about it all the time. I bored all the people around me, I think. Then I decided to write it down. I was planning to cure my obsession by writing. It helped a little bit. Now, I am in love with a country. I keep thinking the ways of returning there.

Brief information:

I've visited Paro, Thimphu, Wangdi and Punakha in Bhutan. I decided top put the things to do, restaurant and hotel tips to the cities own pages, and general tips like local customs etc. to Bhutan page. I hope this won’t be so confusing.

• Pros:It IS Bhutan
  • Last visit to Bhutan: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2009

Travelogues (1)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

HI Ozlem, very interesting page about this unknown country! I have been fascinated by it since I have seen a picture in a book when i was about nine years old... Thank you for interesting tips, they show that you love the country!

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Hi again..long time...good to see you back again and writing more..Your pages are a pleasure...I still want to visit Bhutan.but also want to go back to china...visit Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan , Bangladesh and then into India.Since we spoke last I have been around the world by train.a great journey. great page on Bhutan with good tips and pics..Take care and have a happy Christmas and safe holidays...Denny..

• zamlingnelam's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Now you can do e-ticketing...cheers

• Aug 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I'll come with you - we need to see the blue poppey live :o)

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 6:22 AM

Fantastic page. I had no idea you were expert on Bhutan. And gardening. And dragons!

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 7:13 AM

This page is such a delight to read! I wish I could be transported to Bhutan now! But I agree on the Amasya apples.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2009 at 2:52 PM

wow! a completely different destination! great tips, I'll return back tomorrow for the cities.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Reminds me of the wall paintings in Pompeii. Interesting pagan fertility symbols as well. Greetings from your neighbor in Greece. Janet

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Ah, ha, the Divine Madman didn't decorate a Yamaha electone organ with a ribbon, it was his "willy" that got the bow. ;-)

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM

What great pages! Really enlightening and fun to look at!

ozalp

“I like my town with a little drop of poison.”

Badges & Stats in Bhutan