"Falling in love with a country" Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan by ozalp
Bhutan Travel Guide: 265 reviews and 959 photos
I am a complete ignorant about geography. I first heard about Bhutan in early 2008 or late 2007. It was a newsletter from a travel company called Fest. One of their guides, who would be my guide in this trip, wrote an emotional article about this country. I’ve read it and suddenly my heart started to beat for Bhutan. The news about it made me excited. I searched it a lot. I found out that a young Turkish woman (we are both members of an internet community called eksisozluk) is actually living there. I started to read her memories which she shared in this community. Day by day, Bhutan turned into a passion. One day same travel company sent me a mail about a package tour for Bhutan, Tibet and Nepal. It was a great opportunity and luckily one of my friends also wanted to go. We encouraged each other and found ourselves on the road.
Bhutan’s name in their language is Drukyul. It means “the land of the thunder dragon”. This point has affected my passion, too. I am very fond of dragons. I wanted to be (or at least have) a dragon once. If I were a dragon, I definitely prefer Bhutan.
The result: All three countries were amazing, but when I returned I realized that my Bhutan passion was changed into an obsession. I was talking about it all the time. I bored all the people around me, I think. Then I decided to write it down. I was planning to cure my obsession by writing. It helped a little bit. Now, I am in love with a country. I keep thinking the ways of returning there.
I've visited Paro, Thimphu, Wangdi and Punakha in Bhutan. I decided top put the things to do, restaurant and hotel tips to the cities own pages, and general tips like local customs etc. to Bhutan page. I hope this won’t be so confusing.
- Pros:It IS Bhutan
In Bhutan, houses generally have 3 floors, and the last floor under the roof have no walls. People use this last floor... more travel advice
In Bhutan, drink Bhutanese beverage. They have local beer and whisky. I tasted both and remember that the beer was... more travel advice
ozalp's Related Pages
Bhutan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Falling in love with a country"
- "BHUTAN - the last true illusion of the Himalaya"
- "Land of the Thunder Dragon"
- "Into the Last Himalayan Buddhist Kingdom"
- "Another world"
- "A TRIP TO SHANGRI-LA*** BHUTAN, THE DRAGON KINGDOM"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bhutan
- Hotels in Bhutan
- Transportation in Bhutan
- Nightlife in Bhutan
- Restaurants in Bhutan
- Shopping in Bhutan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bhutan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bhutan
- 38 Reviews
- 114 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bhutan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bhutan
Top 10 Pages
- Cyprus Intro, 37 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Urgup Intro, 37 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 48 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 23 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazan' Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympos Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos
- Madrid Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos
- Nepal Intro, 10 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue