"I left my heart here" Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik by ozalp

Ayvalik Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 463 photos

The place where I plan to live later

Let's start with a Sezen Aksu song's lyric, "Kalbim Ege'de Kaldi":

Yeter bu hasretlik yeter
Aman efendim
Bana bir merhaba gonder
Canim efendim

We visit this small town every year since 1992. We first saw Cunda (Alibey Adasi) in a movie with my dad and we decided to go there. Since we realized that we cannot live without visiting Cunda, we had a summerhouse in this lovely island.
When I remember this song, I want to go this place at once. When I remember it while I drink raki, I feel like I could cry. It is a song for two sides of Aegean Sea. I wish someone translate the lyrics someday.
The hyperlink on the song's name is its video clip on Youtube. You can see the streets of Cunda in it.

Do not expect a touristy sea town. This place is peaceful and quiet.

I love every single piece of this place

These tomatoes are from the weekly opening street markets. I do not know why, everything I eat is delicious here.

Do not think that the photo is pale, these tomatoes are not red. They are pink, it is a different kind of tomatoes.

Narrow Streets

I love being lost in the streets of Cunda and Ayvalik. Unfortunately after all these years it is getting hard to lost. I am nearly a local.

• Pros:Wonderful small town by the sea
  • Cons:Tell me if you find any
  • In a nutshell:Sea, history, delicious fresh fish, olive oil, old stone houses... I love it here.
  • Last visit to Ayvalik: May 2009
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2009

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Hi Ozlem! I was in Ayvalik in early 1990s and have never been since then. Ayvalik and Cunda should definitely be added to our "to visit" list!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Thank you Ozlem for bringing back sweet memories about this place where I happened to stay for a night and half a day... Couldn't visit Cunda unfortunately.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Hey great page Ozlem!! Gorgeous flowers :o) And that gem shop looks cool. Pink rock hey?....well that sounds interesting. ....and food!...I'm hungry now ;o) Good stuff matey!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• Dec 15, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Great tips

• Yiannis2000's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Happy new year! I envy you that u feel like a local in Ayvalik... I miss it often... Did u read "twice a stranger"???

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 7:19 AM

Ayvalik seems to be another pretty little town worth a visit for its food and unhurried pace of life. Thanks for sharing.

• Mehmet1234's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Hi Ozlem how are you? My aunt's friend summer place is in Ayvalik we used to go there sometimes in the summer. Our summer place is Bozcaada my most favorite summer place. I am from Istanbul originally. Mehmet

• Aug 17, 2007 at 3:15 AM

Ah, Sezen Aksu, a great voice, beautiful songs. One always recognizes her voice.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Ayvalik looks very beautiful! And the local toast must be very tasty...

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 12:31 AM

This place DOES sound beautiful!! I'll have to put it on my TO DO list for Turkey!!

ozalp Visits Here Frequently!

ozalp

“I like my town with a little drop of poison.”

Badges & Stats in Ayvalik

Have you been to Ayvalik?

Latest Activity in Ayvalik