Istanbul Off The Beaten Path Tips by ozalp

Istanbul Off The Beaten Path: 515 reviews and 1,133 photos

Crossing the Bridge on foot

It is prohibited to walk over the Boshporus Bridge. It wasn't once and my aunt and uncle tells me that they had walked over it to return to home from their university. It is prohibited because of the suicides and terrorist acts.

But... There is a marathon called "Avrasya Maratonu", "Eurasia Marathon". 2008 is its 30th year. Anybody can join this marathon, because it has two parts: A longer path for professional athletes and the other for everybody. It is usually at the end of October, near to my birthday. You can have detailed information here: http://www.istanbulmarathon.org/english/main.asp

This one is new: There was another event over the Bridge at 31st of August, 2008 called "humanrace10k". It was a worldwide marathon and Turkey part crosses over the Bridge. Participants run from Beylerbeyi to Kurucesme.
For more information follow the link: http://www.nikeplus.com/

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
Kadikoy: My Belowed Peaceful Land Asian side Review

It is growing separately from my Istanbul page and it can easily be missed. I realized that I cannot allow this. So, here is the link to My Entire Kadikoy Page.

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jul 16, 2008
Aya Irini - Istanbul

Aya Irini

Listen to a concert in Aya Irini

I listened to Rufus Wainwright in Aya Irini at 8 of July, 2008. There were many tourists in this concert. And I realized it was a great experience to join a concert in such a special place.
It is an ordinary thing to listen to a concert in Prague, why not in Istanbul?
Aya Irini could be the oldest church of Istanbul. It is also a must see itself. It is located in the garden of Topkapi Palace, near Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia). It has a marvelous acoustic, so every year we have several concerts here. I, personally, participated concerts of Nigel Kennedy, Rufus Wainwright, a blues band from Russia and my brothers’ school’s end of the year ceremonies.
The place itself has a magic, so if the concert was just ordinary Aya Irini transfers it to an upper level. If the concert is good, then it will be an unforgettable memory of your life.
Every year during the music and jazz festivals, we search for concerts in Aya Irini. If you see the place, you’ll agree with me.
(The website I gave is for the tickets. Usually, there isn't many concerts in Aya Irini. I wish you luck.)

Website: http://www.biletix.com

• Updated Jul 16, 2008
Polonezkoy Asian side Review

This is a small village near Black Sea coast. This land is given to Polish people in 1842 by Ottoman Empire. They've been living here since this time. The history of the village is here:

Polonezkoy is a little bit far from Istanbul's city center. It is between forests and its nature is under the effect of Black Sea. This means it is always green, but in spring it's more than green. You can see many colors in April and May here, because wild flowers are all over the place. It is possible to stay here, too. There are many pensions and they serve great breakfast in the morning. In a busy city, Polonezkoy is like heaven. But in the weekends it turns into a hell.

If you try to go there after 11:00 am by your car in a sunny day, you'll stuck in a chaos of cars. If you want to see this beauty, I recommend you to do it when we all working in our offices.

You can find some local products, like wild berries, vegetables, chestnut, jams... They are expensive but recommendable. Also it is posible to ride horses here. You can do trekking, too.

Website: http://www.polonezkoy.com/index_eng.asp

• Updated Apr 18, 2007
Kagni - Istanbul

Kagni

Bedri Rahmi Eyuboglu in a Delicatessen

I was returning to my home, Kadikoy from Karakoy. It was a much known path that I walked million times. There is a delicatessen in the spot (we have the same name with this delicatessen), and I remember it was there since I was a little child.
So, when I was walking, I noticed the wall with mosaic in the delicatessen. I approached the window to see it better. The shop was closed so I couldn’t see it closer. I took some photos because it is a wall mosaic of a famous artist, Bedri Rahmi Eyuboglu.

He was a famous painter and a poet. He was born in 1913 and died in 1975. This mosaic is called Kagni. Kagni means a cart which pulled by bulls. You can see it in photos.

You can see some of paintings of Bedri Rahmi in this page:

His poems are very famous, especially Karadut. Here is a small poem of him:
"Bu karpuz

• Written Nov 21, 2006
Gravestone of a captain - Istanbul

Gravestone of a captain

Decorated gravestones

You can easily pass through a tomb of an important character (like Sultans) in Istanbul. We call them "turbe" and they are usually very close to mosques. Also there are some graves around the turbe of the less important person. They were somehow close to the main character (like a cousin, a daughter, a son-in-law, etc.)

The gravestones of these historical characters describe and summarize their lives, as you can see in the pictures. And you don't need to know Ottoman language.

• Written Nov 7, 2006
A pheasant in cage - Istanbul

A pheasant in cage

Cicek Pazari (Flower Bazaar)

Cicek Pazari leans the outer walls of Egyptian (Spice) Market. It is at the left side of Market's main entrance while your face towards the gate. Wandering in Cicek Pazari is not an "Off The Beaten Path" for locals because we buy our flowers, trees, seeds and such requirements here. Also you can find interesting animals (not only pets, animals like partdige, pheasant, leech) here. It is always full of people bargaining.

• Written Jul 27, 2006

ozalp Lives Here!

ozalp

“I like my town with a little drop of poison.”

Badges & Stats in Istanbul

Have you been to Istanbul?

Latest Activity in Istanbul