"VIVA COLOMBIA!" Colombia by vivacolombia

Colombia Travel Guide: 4,157 reviews and 12,221 photos

An amazing country

Who would want to go to Colombia on holidays?

Reading books on Colombia scared the hell out of anyone who would just consider Colombia as a potential holiday destination. (from no hot water in Cali to kidnappings: it doesn' look welcoming).
I have to be honest here.
It's the Colombian armed conflict that actually interests me. More than that, it's how regular people cope and live with in this context.

From Seattle, I could do some research but putting my hands on unbiased books was really challenging. Moreover, it wasn't like talking to real Colombians, right?!

So when I got the opportunity to discover this country and make my own opinion of its situation, I was more than excited. I couldn't stop thinking about how fantastic this opportunity was. Each time I was calling my new friend in Colombia, I was shaking and so thrilled! I didn't know much about what I was gonna get to see and visit and just let myself guide by my new friend.

My conclusion

Off course, Colombia is not a country to visit with your 3 kids, your tourist guide in one hand and the latest camera in the other. However, if you get just one single tiny opportunity ...SEIZE IT!

Farcs rebels won't be waiting for you at the airport...If you follow local safety instructions, you can turn this trip into the most amazing trip you've ever go on to. So, relax and just enjoy.
People are amazingly welcoming, open minded, interesting. Landscapes are wonderful and so diverse.

• Last visit to Colombia: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 11, 2005

• nhoolb's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I enjoy reading your pages-again: it's your sense of humor that makes reading so delightful, and of course for me knowing the culture there. Best wishes, Noel.

Badges & Stats in Colombia

Have you been to Colombia?

Latest Activity in Colombia