"Friendly, forgotten Melitopol" Melitopol' by Marywhotravels
Melitopol' Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 30 photos
Very few people have heard of the city of Melitopol, and there are even many Ukrainians who aren't sure where it is. Ah, poor Melitopol. It isn't an old city. Settled a couple hundred years ago by German missionaries and poor Russian and Ukrainian farmers, the city has survived collectivization, famine, massive destruction in WWII, and now severe post-Soviet economic decline. Many of the large Soviet factories have been closed, and every year the city's population gets a little smaller. But there is still an endearing, if a little sad, charm to Melitopol. People are friendly and helpful and eager to share their lives with visitors. There are some great restaurants, a wonderful park where it seems the whole town congregates on weekends, and even the archaeological treasure "Kamena Mohyla." So if you *really* want to get off the beaten path (honestly, I've never met or heard of a single tourist coming here ever), come stop by!
This is a very typical Soviet style restaurant, but the food is a bit better than average. The decor is an attempt at... more travel advice
Every year Melitopol has a large "Melitopol Day" festival in the middle of September, usually on a Sunday. This year,... more travel advice
Marywhotravels' Related Pages
Melitopol' Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Melitopol'
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Melitopol'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melitopol'
- Posted in Travel Zaporizhzhya Forum "Re: Zaporizhzhya Review"
- updated a Melitopol' Travel Page "Friendly, forgotten Melitopol"
- Wrote a Review Great Ukrainian food, Soviet atmosphere in Melitopol' Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great Ukrainian food, Soviet atmosphere"
- Commented on one of OlenaKyiv's Melitopol' travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Stow Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyzyl Intro, 2 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melitopol' Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Aichi-ken Intro, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dilijan Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaporizhzhya Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kurashiki Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Korostyshev Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Novomoskovs'k 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Ambo Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos