Vienna Off The Beaten Path Tips by Maidstoneman
Vienna Off The Beaten Path: 516 reviews and 1,075 photos
Cold snowy day February 2004
Each February there is an ice rink outside the Rathaus. At night it is beautifully illuminated and they play great music. I usually go there at about 9pm to watch the skaters and over the years have come to recognise many of the regulars. I even feel sad if I don`t see them!
Around the edge of the rink are stalls selling food and drink, especially Gluwein. You pay a deposit for the mug which you can take home if you want. Each year they have a different design and I now have a shelf full at home. (sad, or what?)
It`s free to watch and I think a very unusual thing to do.
A fantastic church situated in the groudns of the mental hospital. Reached by bus from the city centre. Bult in 1907 and Otto Wagner`s last commission. A bit of a spooky location but well worth the trek. Open very limited hours, I think only Saturday afternoons
More Reviews (6)
Maidstoneman's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "WALTZ INTO VIENNA!"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 8 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Brighton Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matera Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hamburg Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Nantes 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Edinburgh 2 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.
- Belvedere Palace & Gardens- 181 Reviews, 346 Photos
- Schönbrunn Palace- 304 Reviews, 624 Photos
- Hofburg Palace Complex- 264 Reviews, 587 Photos
- Stephansdom - St. Stephen's Cathedral- 257 Reviews, 534 Photos
- Wiener Staatsoper - State Opera House- 105 Reviews, 195 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 100 Reviews, 188 Photos
- Hundertwasserhaus- 130 Reviews, 273 Photos
- Grinzing- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - History Museum- 73 Reviews, 171 Photos
- Wiener Riesenrad - Giant Ferris Wheel- 68 Reviews, 111 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do