"Vigo, Spain" Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo by Shabu
Vigo Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 212 photos
Vigo, known as the Gateway to the Atlantic, is the largest city in northeastern Spain with a population of about 300,000. It is located on a 20 mile long estuary called the Rias Baixes and boasts of beautiful beaches and outstanding water sports.
Vigo has much to offer it's visitors, including many parks and gardens, beautiful squares and historical buildings. The Porta del Sol is officially the centre of the city and here you can see the tall sculpture named Sireno. The gilded figure is the work of Paco Leiro and represents a figure that is half man and half sea creature.
Vigo's fishing origin has left an historic quarter with a strong maritime flavour. This old part of the city, Cidade Vella, is certainly worth exploring with its tiny cobbled streets and little shops that sell all types of local goods. It is situated around the old maritime quarter of O Berbes, near the port. On Rua Pescaderia, (fish-market street), you can find cheap seafood places which are well worth savouring where you can enjoy hardy platefuls of pulpo (octopus), Galicia's national dish, mussels, and scallops. The cuisine of the Galician coast, based on fish and seafood, is definately an added incentive to visit the area.
Vigomar 2005 was held this year on September 9th to the 11th at the Port of Berbes where appproximately 30,000 people... more travel advice
"Quinones De Leon" has sheltered the towns art, archeology and history since 1937. The museum was built inside a 17th... more travel advice
Shabu's Related Pages
Vigo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Galicia's largest town"
- "Vigo, Spain"
- "Best seafood and meat in Spain!"
- "WITH VIGO, YOU'LL BE FASCINATED"
- "BERBERECHO's new Vigo page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vigo
- Hotels in Vigo
- Transportation in Vigo
- Nightlife in Vigo
- Restaurants in Vigo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vigo
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Vigo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vigo
- Wrote a Review Xornadas Marisqueiras y Gastronomicas Vigomar 2005 in Vigo Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Xornadas Marisqueiras y Gastronomicas Vigomar 2005"
- updated a Vigo Travel Page "Vigo, Spain"
- Posted in Travel Brighton Forum "Gatwick to Brighton"
Photos in VigoSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Santiago de Compostela Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nigrán Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bayona Intro, 3 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- La Guardia Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lugo Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Noia Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Oya Intro, 1 review, 9 photos
- Muros Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bethlehem Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos