"Abidjan My memories" Top 5 Page for this destination Abidjan by Pete.Gibson

Abidjan Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 129 photos

My One and only visit to Ajidjan was back in the mid 90s, And i have very mixed memories, Its very unfortunate the current economical climate there at the moment, It was called the Paris of Africa at one stage, and the crumbling splendour is only to evident in the former Capital Grand Bassam, about one hours drive from Abidjan

I stayed at the Intercontintal hotel which at the time had a Icerink and bowling alley amongst its attactions, But it was once you got out of the city you meet the warmth and hospitality of the local people, I traveled out to a vllage of which i have no idea of its name about 3hrs north of Abidjan, A fishing village built on a lagoon with the only access by Dug out Canoe, Armed with a pocket full of sweets ( boiled Ginger sweets!!! ) purchased at a small village store on route, I Instantly had a following of smiling Kids

I had a scary moment one day when visiting the Washermen, who collect washing from all over and carry it on large bundles on their heads, They each have their own spot in the river and along with a dirty brown soap made from palms!! ...not sure how? They wash all the clothes beating them on the rocks, The River takes on a frothy foam scum downstream.
Anyway i was taking a couple of general photos of the scene, when a few of the Washermen took offence and started advancing asking for money..This turned into a bit of a frenzy with a crowd trying to extract me from my car, it was all i could do to prevent my driver from trying to get out and leave me, I persuaded him to drive and slowly they dropped from the car as we drove off, A close shave

• Last visit to Abidjan: Apr 1993
  • Intro Written Sep 22, 2005

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Hi, Great pages about a place I desperatley want to visit when it's safer. Love the balcony tip! Same thing happened to me years ago - but in the hotel corridor in Tenerife!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2007 at 11:48 PM

A less travelled place. Great page. Sorry to hear your locked out in the balcony in the buff. LOL. Did you see postcards sold?

• Apr 12, 2007 at 1:00 AM

This is the Wafou Hotel in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire. It's a lovely place to stay. Instead of a hotel room, you stay in a small bungalow. You can access the roof with the pull-down stairway.

• TomFoolery's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Absolutely fascinating insight great page.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Interesting place I did like your look at the locals & their troubled situation

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 7:41 AM

I know it was a long time ago - but what a vivid travel-log and experience.... awwww... !!!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 1:12 PM

Looks like an interesting experiencre to have visited the Ivory Coast and Abidjan. I wonder if it's still a nice, modern city?

• jungles's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Alot of those tips hadn't been written last month anyway. Sorry I was too late for you. Thanks for this page on a place that can only be visited virtually at the moment.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 3:36 PM

Pete, you are the world's greatest guest...eating fish eyeballs...I never could have gotten through that! THANKS for the introduction to Abidjan. I hope things turn around for those people...

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 10:36 PM

makes me mad seeing and hearing of the logging around the world..still, I suppose poor countries often have no other choice..superb page

Pete.Gibson

“Travel broadens the Mind and Waist”

Badges & Stats in Abidjan

Have you been to Abidjan?

Latest Activity in Abidjan