"Abidjan My memories" Top 5 Page for this destination Abidjan by Pete.Gibson
Abidjan Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 129 photos
My One and only visit to Ajidjan was back in the mid 90s, And i have very mixed memories, Its very unfortunate the current economical climate there at the moment, It was called the Paris of Africa at one stage, and the crumbling splendour is only to evident in the former Capital Grand Bassam, about one hours drive from Abidjan
I stayed at the Intercontintal hotel which at the time had a Icerink and bowling alley amongst its attactions, But it was once you got out of the city you meet the warmth and hospitality of the local people, I traveled out to a vllage of which i have no idea of its name about 3hrs north of Abidjan, A fishing village built on a lagoon with the only access by Dug out Canoe, Armed with a pocket full of sweets ( boiled Ginger sweets!!! ) purchased at a small village store on route, I Instantly had a following of smiling Kids
I had a scary moment one day when visiting the Washermen, who collect washing from all over and carry it on large bundles on their heads, They each have their own spot in the river and along with a dirty brown soap made from palms!! ...not sure how? They wash all the clothes beating them on the rocks, The River takes on a frothy foam scum downstream.
Anyway i was taking a couple of general photos of the scene, when a few of the Washermen took offence and started advancing asking for money..This turned into a bit of a frenzy with a crowd trying to extract me from my car, it was all i could do to prevent my driver from trying to get out and leave me, I persuaded him to drive and slowly they dropped from the car as we drove off, A close shave
I must admit i left this one to last, i visited one evening it had traditional dancing and these stilt villas which... more travel advice
The beaches around Grand Bassam are of a good quality as you can see from my photo more travel advice
Pete.Gibson's Related Pages
Abidjan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Abidjan My memories"
- "The Door of Africa"
- "Paris of West Africa"
- "The heart of the Ivory Coast..cough cough...."
- "evliyasems's new Abidjan Page"
- "West African metropolis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abidjan
- Hotels in Abidjan
- Transportation in Abidjan
- Nightlife in Abidjan
- Restaurants in Abidjan
- Shopping in Abidjan
- Warnings and Dangers in Abidjan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abidjan
- 19 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Abidjan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abidjan
Photos in AbidjanSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coventry Intro, 28 reviews, 76 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Goa Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abidjan Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mysore Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos
- Malatya Ili Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- The Gambia Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Uyuni Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue