"PRAIA DO FORTE" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado da Bahia by schurlif
Estado da Bahia Travel Guide: 1,046 reviews and 2,588 photos
Ibama is a federal autarc , special institution and it's abbreviation stands for "Instituto Brasileiro Do Meio Ambiente E Dos Recursos Naturais Renovaveis" = Brazilian Institute Of The Environment And Of The Renewable Natural Ressources. Ibama has a lot of research stations at beaches from the North all the way to the South with scientists working to keep the ecological environment safe and unpolluted and to save endangered animal species. 80 km north of Salvador on the Green Line or Coconut Highway is Praia do Forte , where Ibama runs its biggest of various TAMAR projects along Brazils 8,000km coastline. TAMAR stands for TArtarugas MARitimas = Sea Turtles and this one is awesome and the jaw drop kind. In huge basins where even Shamu would fit I saw huge , gigantic sea turtles that (almost) defy description. Here the scientists collect the turtle eggs from the same men who used to collect these eggs for dinner... and then providently let them mature untill the little baby sea turtles hatch and grow to a certain size. Then these sea turtles get released into the ocean and one more chapter of the endangering of these megaturtle species is closed.
To get some idea of what kind of sea turtles get taken care of here and what their actual adult , adult size is , look at these life size models in comparison with me.... I'm 1,67 m... so the one I'm having a friendly chat with should be like 1,80 m . This is the kind we saw in the basins , the one on the right is somewhat smaller and "fluffier" ( lol...) but the one on the left really looks scary , geeeez,,,, it must be like 3 m tall.... And maybe was an inspiration for George Lucas when he created Darth Vader.....
or when they designed the stealth bomber.....
Imagine swimming in the ocean and one of these comes up from below right in front of you , just to breath some air...... Your reaction very likely would be the same as if The Great White had found you....
We could have stayed overnight but the group was eager to get further away from Salvador. We had an early dinner though at one of many pretentious , expensive but very nice restaurants.. ( this one was run by a french couple and the menu was almost exclusively french cuisine , which I didn't mind at all...). After dinner it was back to our bus and off to Mangue Seco ( next page , next tips ).
As we left the TAMAR project these two little rascals were trying to pull our leg..... Just for the fun of it.... Too bad my friends didn't get it because besides Camila and I nobody spoke a word of Portuguese....
But Camila and I talked back at them and teased them equally..... It was sort of a verbal punch back and forth but with always smiling faces.... At the end we all waved hands , smiled and said : Tchau = Bye !
- Pros:the hyperinteresting Tamar Project plus nice beach
- Cons:nothing really worth staying for besides Tamar
- In a nutshell:Bahia is beautifull , Bahia is different , Bahia is hot !
And off we went...... the sensation of being exposed to the wind at 60 or 70 kmh on such a wide track is really exciting... more travel advice
Finally the boats arrive , four alltogether....... three to take the 12 of us and one for the luggage..From the monkey... more travel advice
schurlif's Related Pages
Estado da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Praia do Forte"
- "PRAIA DO FORTE"
- "Bahia que tem dende!"
- "Bemvindo da Brasil! 1999-2000"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado da Bahia
- Hotels in Estado da Bahia
- Transportation in Estado da Bahia
- Nightlife in Estado da Bahia
- Restaurants in Estado da Bahia
- Shopping in Estado da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado da Bahia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Estado da Bahia
- 21 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Estado da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado da Bahia
Videos in Estado da BahiaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo Intro, 44 reviews, 195 photos
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Ilhéus Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos
- Ubatuba Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Manaus Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonito Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos