"REVOLUTIONARY AIRPLANE LAYOUT FOR A CITY" Brasília by schurlif
Brasília Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 211 photos
What do these names tell you..? One Check and two German names..? Well , they are the creators of Brasilia , in its time the most modern and artificially conceived capital of the world. Starting around 1959 on the high plains of then Goias State in the middle of nowhere , then president of Brazil , JUSCELINO KUBITSCHEK ( JK ) gave the starting signal for the construction of Brazils new capital according to plans and ideas that had existed for decades after the place had been earmarked by a monk (DOM BOSCO) as the mystical geographical center of Brazil.... but the planners in Rio de Janeiro from the beginning of the century couldn't have envisioned the art and far out "wild" revolutionary ideas of Kubitscheks two main colaborateurs in this pharaonic enterprise .....
OSCAR NIEMEYER , the city planner and building designer who gave Brasilia its form of an airplane with the fuselage area being reserved for government and other public buildings , while the wings of the plane contain the commercial and residential areas.... and BURLE MARX , the landscape artist , responsible for every green spot and pathway through the green in Brasilia and who practically also designed each famous and big park in the major Brazilian cities (Ibirapuera in São Paulo and Flamengo in Rio de Janeiro ). When Brasilia was inaugurated in ( huh... I don't even know for sure..... duuuuh..) 1964 , the whole world applauded . The sensation was perfect.... in about 5 years work , the city had taken it's primary shape and has been the center of architecture lovers from all over the world ever since.
Two other important names from those times : LUCIO COSTA , an equally talented architect and city projector and ISRAEL PINHEIRO , a politician from Minas Gerais ( the state where JK was born ) who was appointed by JK as first mayor of "his " city....
I had just done a wild trip by boat from Manaus to Belem and spent a few days in Para's capital and now it was time to return to São Paulo. So my friend who was travelling with me and I decided that we would take the earliest flight out of Belem and , since we had to change plane in Brasilia anyway , we would take the last flight out of Brasilia to São Paulo and spend the whole day in the nations capital , renting a car , driving around everywhere and looking at everything.....
And so we did more or less because we had no fixed plan..... But in the 9 hours or so we got to get around quite a bit.....
- Pros:Been there too short to judge
- Cons:Been there too short to judge
- In a nutshell:The whole city is architecture
Continuing our mini odyssey we came upon another type of sanctuary..... the JK memorial (pics 1 & 2 ).....where... more travel advice
schurlif's Related Pages
Brasília Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brasília - The Monument City"
- "Brasília - from the prophecy to reality!!!"
- "My Home Homepage"
- "REVOLUTIONARY AIRPLANE LAYOUT FOR A CITY"
- "TWINE's Brasilia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brasília
- Hotels in Brasília
- Transportation in Brasília
- Nightlife in Brasília
- Restaurants in Brasília
- Shopping in Brasília
- Warnings and Dangers in Brasília
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brasília
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Brasília?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brasília
Photos in BrasíliaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo Intro, 44 reviews, 195 photos
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Ilhéus Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos
- Ubatuba Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Manaus Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonito Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos