"T H E WETLAND AREA OF THE WORLD....." Top 5 Page for this destination Pantanal by schurlif
Pantanal Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 239 photos
The socalled “Pantanal Matogrossense” which in reality is an accumulation of 10 pantanais (wet- or swamplands) is the biggest continious wetland and flood area of the world, recognized by UNESCO as a patrimony of humankind. A giant basin, maybe the size of France, connected to Rio Paraguai, extending between Western Brazil and Southern Bolivia, surrounded by mountainous regions, with poor and “waterproof” soil, the whole area gets inundated by heavy rainfall, principally in the north in the early months of the year. Drainage is only possible to the south (Rio Paraguai) and is REALLY slow, thus the water masses reach the south only by the end of June…. Sometimes Rio Paraguai itself rises due to heavy rainfalls and forms a strip of maybe 40 km of water, called romantically as “Sea of the Xaraiés”, a local indigenous tribe. The Pantanal is world renowned for being the biggest inland water evaporating area but mainly for its great variety of wildlife, mammals, including primates, deers and jaguars, a whole array of tropical birds, gigantic fish and above all, the Jacaré, the South American version of a Cayman alligator…
When we arrived in July (the winter holidays in the Southern Hemisphere) the main water areas had already dried up and the flora was dry and colorless….. It’s not the plants here that are the stars but the animals….. Driving around, standing in the back of a truck, armed with ocular spyglasses, we went on photosafaris looking for the “animal action” and we didn’t have to wait too long, with an approximate population of 10 million jacarés they weren’t so hard to find… And birds were also very easy to spot…
We stayed at a pousada (inn) which actually was like a guesthouse of a gigantic cattle ranch. I knew I was on an ecological trip and couldn’t expect too much of comfort…. But the place seemed to me like an army camp… (what aren’t we tourists not ready to sacrifice for travellings and experiences sake…??) Every morning at 6:15 we were woken up by the rings of a bell in the central area of the pousada, half an hour time for breakfast and/or other activities and then it was out in the nature… no excuse….. no pardon… This cute and nice little green fellow moved around freely in the pousada and kept us some company while we relaxed in the pool area after a long and exhausting day of discovering the nature….
- Pros:Very interesting ecological destination
- Cons:no real cons , just make sure you choose right time of year
- In a nutshell:Eco trip tailored to your expectations
Of course , every day you get taken on some excursion , be it doing the kayak , riding a horse , playing silly games... more travel advice
I know..... this is not going to be one of the most exciting tips but nevertheless, if you're staying at Pousada Cayman... more travel advice
schurlif's Related Pages
Pantanal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE DREAM COMES TRUE - PANTANAL IS BEAUTIFUL"
- "T H E WETLAND AREA OF THE WORLD....."
- "This is a place you must go!"
- "Under the stars"
- "Wonder of the world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pantanal
- Hotels in Pantanal
- Transportation in Pantanal
- Nightlife in Pantanal
- Restaurants in Pantanal
- Shopping in Pantanal
- Warnings and Dangers in Pantanal
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pantanal
- 4 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Pantanal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pantanal
Photos in PantanalSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo Intro, 44 reviews, 195 photos
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos
- Ubatuba Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Manaus Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonito Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos