"Short glimpses at São Paulo , my place....." Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo by schurlif

São Paulo Travel Guide: 852 reviews and 1,745 photos

What is easier than a page of your base city...?

I'm Austrian from Vienna and as I say , life is weirder than any brazilian or mexican TV novela..... I have been living in São Paulo for the past 19 years. This place is an extreme in many ways. Grande (Metropolitan) São Paulo has some 18 million inhabitants , unquestionably one of the 5 biggest cities that exist and of course there's all the crap of any big city , pollution , traffic jams , crime , corrupted local politicians and police...
So why am I staying here..??? Hmmmm , the food !!!!! The women !!!!! The easy life if you have just a little teeny weeny amount of money...... But if it gets too much , I have at least three places where to escape: Rio , Valinhos and Ubatuba...
Rio is obvious , in Valinhos ( 80 km north) I have my country house and in Ubatuba my beach house.... so ... there you go...!

Last entry : (Well , it did get too much... on July 27th , 2006 , I moved definitely to Valinhos and I made a great decision... perfect climate , no pollution , almost no crime , much cheaper , no traffic and a parrot, three pitbulls and horses as neighbors....)

My neighborhood

I live in a quiet ( sometimes.. that is ) residential area called Jardim das Bandeiras ( Flag Garden ) , which belongs to the Pinheiros ( = Pinetree) District , about 4 km from the city center or five minutes by car from the Avenida Paulista ( which I'll show and explain later...)
Here's my street , Rua Cristiano Viana and my house to the right on the corner...

Ponte Aerea ( "Air Bridge") from Rio about to land

This plane ( as seen from the roof of a highrise nearby my house) will touch down in max 2 minutes at Congonhas (city) Airport.... By the time it is almost low enough to land , whether you're in the plane or on a rooftop , it feels and looks as if the plane was crashlanding on a tiny roof.....( If you ever landed in Hong Kong that's nothing compared to landing at Congonhas...) Because the airport was built like 55 years ago on a wide open field with absolutely nothing around it.... The city has mushroomed like crazy and today the highrises grow ever closer and closer , I wonder when they'll start building one on the runway...?

• Pros:Culinary Capital of the World , relaxed mixture of Milan and New York
  • Cons:Traffic, Pollution , Crime , Everybody against everybody and God against all....
  • In a nutshell:Apocalyptic Giga Concrete Jungle with some very nice aspects
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Nice page

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM

an interesting page, Georg, and a lot of great updates again since my last visit on this page !

• jesa00's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Oh! Obrigada! great page... I will be making my first trip to Brazil, specifically Sao Paulo for 2 weeks this October and I can't wait. Thanks for sharing!

• yaya15923's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM

wonderful pages and photos! I have a Great Uncle in Florianopolis that I have yet to meet so hoping to make it down to Brazil sometime in 2010.

• Oct 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I m from zambia and would like to visit sau paulo soon. can you recommend cheap,safe budget accomodation or rooms for up to 5days stay.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Great pages. Thanks for sharing.

• mydreamquest's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Very interesting and well written Sao Paulo page. Intriguing to me to read it from you, one from Vienna, one of my favorite European cities.

• vtdanny's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Georg, you have no idea how much your restaurants reviews made me hungry the night I read them !Excellent info and you wrote with such passion, thanks for sharing.And when I drink my sake next month in Japanese Town Sao Paulo, I'll drink one to you!Saude.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Halloechen Georg! Willkommen zurueck! Tolle tips hier, neu und alt :-) Jess

• 88Starflite's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Looks like a good place to retire? Is there a large influx of Americans-Europeans moving there? Sounds cheap & fun too-ladies!!!

schurlif Used To Live Here!

schurlif

“Don't let dilemmas spoil your life, if you have good choices, take all of them ! (Like trips, desserts or girlfriends)”

Badges & Stats in São Paulo

Have you been to São Paulo?

Latest Activity in São Paulo