"Short glimpses at São Paulo , my place....." Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo by schurlif
São Paulo Travel Guide: 852 reviews and 1,745 photos
I'm Austrian from Vienna and as I say , life is weirder than any brazilian or mexican TV novela..... I have been living in São Paulo for the past 19 years. This place is an extreme in many ways. Grande (Metropolitan) São Paulo has some 18 million inhabitants , unquestionably one of the 5 biggest cities that exist and of course there's all the crap of any big city , pollution , traffic jams , crime , corrupted local politicians and police...
So why am I staying here..??? Hmmmm , the food !!!!! The women !!!!! The easy life if you have just a little teeny weeny amount of money...... But if it gets too much , I have at least three places where to escape: Rio , Valinhos and Ubatuba...
Rio is obvious , in Valinhos ( 80 km north) I have my country house and in Ubatuba my beach house.... so ... there you go...!
Last entry : (Well , it did get too much... on July 27th , 2006 , I moved definitely to Valinhos and I made a great decision... perfect climate , no pollution , almost no crime , much cheaper , no traffic and a parrot, three pitbulls and horses as neighbors....)
I live in a quiet ( sometimes.. that is ) residential area called Jardim das Bandeiras ( Flag Garden ) , which belongs to the Pinheiros ( = Pinetree) District , about 4 km from the city center or five minutes by car from the Avenida Paulista ( which I'll show and explain later...)
Here's my street , Rua Cristiano Viana and my house to the right on the corner...
This plane ( as seen from the roof of a highrise nearby my house) will touch down in max 2 minutes at Congonhas (city) Airport.... By the time it is almost low enough to land , whether you're in the plane or on a rooftop , it feels and looks as if the plane was crashlanding on a tiny roof.....( If you ever landed in Hong Kong that's nothing compared to landing at Congonhas...) Because the airport was built like 55 years ago on a wide open field with absolutely nothing around it.... The city has mushroomed like crazy and today the highrises grow ever closer and closer , I wonder when they'll start building one on the runway...?
- Pros:Culinary Capital of the World , relaxed mixture of Milan and New York
- Cons:Traffic, Pollution , Crime , Everybody against everybody and God against all....
- In a nutshell:Apocalyptic Giga Concrete Jungle with some very nice aspects
I don't live in São Paulo anymore but rather in Valinhos, about 80 km to the north. Whenever I have an early appointment... more travel advice
One of the nice things you can do is just drive around for the sake of it in the Ave. Paulista, Jardins and Pinheiros... more travel advice
- Quickie look at some of SPs commerce
- FESTA JUNINHA
- See All SWARMS FROM SÃO PAULO AND OTHER STATES...
schurlif's Related Pages
São Paulo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short glimpses at São Paulo , my place....."
- "SÃO PAULO - SAMPA - MY BIG URBAN SHELTER"
- "Cidade da Garoa"
- "Who am I to give advice?"
- "São Paulo"
- "Gasoline fumes and roasting meat...aaahhhh!"
- "More on Sao Paulo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in São Paulo
- Hotels in São Paulo
- Transportation in São Paulo
- Nightlife in São Paulo
- Restaurants in São Paulo
- Shopping in São Paulo
- Warnings and Dangers in São Paulo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in São Paulo
- 44 Reviews
- 191 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to São Paulo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São Paulo
- Posted in Travel Manaus Forum "Re: Belém to Peru"
- Uploaded a Video to São Paulo
- Wrote a Review Another good option for an... in São Paulo Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Another good option for an overnight stay in Sampa"
- updated a São Paulo Travel Page "Short glimpses at São Paulo , my place....."
- Commented on one of morgane1692's São Paulo travel pages
Photos in São PauloSee All Photos (191)
Videos in São PauloSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo Intro, 44 reviews, 195 photos
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Ilhéus Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos
- Ubatuba Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Manaus Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonito Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos