"Lovely valley" Mai Chau by hientonkin
Mai Chau Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 95 photos
About 180km far from Hanoi. Mai Chau is an ideal destination for Hanoian to get away from the city or expats to come here to enjoy the peaceful scenery and fresh air. And a lot of tourist also make a way here to see this "little Sapa"
Mai Chau is also a place that students go for camping. That's why staying in Poom Coong village is quieter cause most of them will book the stilt house in Lac village.
Lac and Poom Coong village is the place for tourists with a lot of Thai Stilt House for accommodation.
The stilt house is fairly clean, the host will provide matress, pillows, blanket and mosquiot net for you. Thai people is very friendly, to say this little town is touristy is partly true and not true. Somehow The Thai still keep their culture understand they need to protect it.
Staying in the stilt house, you will have chance to be in local life with Thai people. At night you can order for a Traditional Dance Show (which i recommend for groups only). Or you can peek in any house that have this Show and join them.
Thai Dance, more people is more fun. people drink "ruou can" (local wine that use bamboo stick to drink) together and "nhay sap" ( team dance). Be careful or your little feet will hurt if you go wrong :)
1 day trip will be too short, 2 -3 days trip will give you more chance to see the town and do some longer trek. A combination with Ninh Binh will be perfect. There are not a lot of things to do in Mai Chau except trekking to remote villages. So if you are looking for something like Sapa, it's not the place.
Also a very nice stopover for who doing North West trip.
Mai Chau seems so simple but beautiful.
hientonkin's Related Pages
Mai Chau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mai Chau 15/3/08 - 16/3/08"
- "Mai Chau."
- "Green Field, High Mountain, and Blue Sky"
- "Mai Chau Vietnam - Filming for Buffalo Tours"
- "Lovely valley"
- "Shopping and great scenery"
- "See Mai Chau of Vietnam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mai Chau
- Hotels in Mai Chau
- Nightlife in Mai Chau
- Shopping in Mai Chau
- Warnings and Dangers in Mai Chau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mai Chau
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Mai Chau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mai Chau
Top 10 Pages
- Hanoi Intro, 40 reviews, 8 photos
- Hue Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Ha Long Intro, 8 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Da Nang Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lao Cai Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Tinh Ha Giang Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bat Trang Intro, 3 photos
- Vietnam 2 reviews