"Cali -- Why are people so afraid?" Top 5 Page for this destination Cali by brad216

Cali Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 477 photos

A Misunderstood City

It's such a shame that so many people are afraid of Colombia. People need to visit places such as Cali to appreciate the beautiful souls of the people who live there. I was one of those afraid to travel to Colombia before meeting my wife but thankfully she has opened me up to a beautiful culture.

I have visited Cali 8 times since Sept 2004 and although I have not traveled to some of the more beutiful remote spots there due to security reasons, I have come to love this beautiful city. You have the beautiful churches of La Ermita and San Antonio, the Cali Zoo which is wonderful for the family, el paraiso, horseback riding, and dancing,dancing,dancing. Cali is the home of Salsa so make sure you go to clubs to get your freak on. WARNING!!! if you are a gringo, you will have many beautiful women approaching you in the dance clubs (shhh..don't tell my wife).

If possible, try to visit Cali during Feria De Cali held from right before Christmas to right after New Years. Although I have not experienced it yet, my wife raves about those couple of weeks of partys each year. From the drinking and dancing, to the bullfights (which my wife and myself don't agree with but to each their own), to the opening of hearts from the Colombianos... this is the best time of year to visit.

I can not talk about Cali whithout mentioning the food. MMMMM..just thinking about the fresh fruit juices anywhere you go in the city makes me miss Cali that much more. Coming from the US where you are lucky to get any type of fresh fruit (especially in winter in Philadelphia) I have to say the one thing I miss the most besides my wife's family is the variety of fresh fruit available any time of the year. Also, although I am fortunate enough to have a wife who cooks wonderful Colombian food... I miss the empanadas and cholado the most. Although we do make them here, there's just something missing.

Make sure you take a hike up the mountains to the 3 crosses for a wonderful view of the city. Start the hike early before the hot sun comes out and watch a beautiful sunrise come over the town. Be careful, it does get dangerous either too early or too late.

Although I have been safe during my many visits to Cali, I do need to remind all that you should ALWAYS, if at all possible, not travel alone. Make sure you are in a group and if at all possible, try viewing the city with a local who will know where to take you, and more importantly, where to keep you away from.

I hope this information helps someone in their quest to visit Cali. Please let me know any questions you might have and I will try to have either myself or my wife answer for you. Pictures will be available on this page soon.

• Last visit to Cali: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2006

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2013 at 3:30 AM

We were there few months ago as part of a 18 day trip pf Colombia. A travel mate was robbed of her costume jewellery while walking at night right in front of her bf! And especially for ladies NEVER walk alone at night. In Popayan a traveler staying in the same hostel as us was robbed of her digicam in the bright afternoon daylight. So perhaps walking alone during the day may not be such a good idea too. Apart from petty crimes, which can happen anywhere in the world, Colombia is awesome n generally safe. Be cautious n be aware of your surroundings. Never show off your belongings even if they are inexpensive items.

• Apr 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Very Glad to read this Post Brad!! Seems funny that it been out there available to read, and I'm only seeing it now!
    I hope I get to visit Cali this Summer, there's are beautiful woman waiting for me to be with her.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Hi Brad! I'm going to visit Cali in December, during Feria de Cali :) Then I fly directly to Isla de San Andres (perhaps also Providencia) where I intend to spent the New Year :) Would you mind asking some more questions via e-mail? Thanks so much!!

• tratoria's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 8:43 AM

HI, I was very excited reading your info about Cali. Colombia is my native country, I live in North Fl. Rgds,

• May 9, 2007 at 12:43 AM

If you wanna see pics of any place in Cali, let me know as well. I have them all 'cause I work in a school where I teach about our city.

• Sep 27, 2006 at 6:42 AM

aww that is very cute!! i know this house la casa de el para paraiso means alpot to us colombians im soo hapy that u went i was there durin the summer im gonna post sum pictures soo that u guyss can vistit..

• Jul 26, 2006 at 4:44 PM

i totally agree with you brad216, the city and culture of cali, colombia is fascinating. i myself married a caleña ( i am puerto rican) in 2003, i have been to cali 4 times since. and i love that city.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 12:48 PM

okay lobster boy . . . nice page. san antonio, cali sounds like a cool spot.

• Dec 13, 2005 at 4:52 PM

Brad Thanks for your comments. I will be going to Cali and already I know I will love. Is your wife from there and may I ask was the change difficult for her to America. I hope I may be as lucky as you. Thanks for letting read your notes. Tim Scott

brad216 Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Cali