Union Territory of Delhi Things to Do Tips by NYTim Top 5 Page for this destination
Union Territory of Delhi Things to Do: 32 reviews and 91 photos
From the descriptions in the guide books, Connaught place was supposed to be somewhat stately. Not true. It may be the heart of New Delhi, but that backside would be a more apt description. On the picture below there people actually living on top of these small buildings in mini shanty towns.
Address: Connaught Place Inner Circie
Directions: The Metro is the easiest way to get here.
Khan Tarkhan the elder's tomb -- so the guide said
This is site filled with mosques, tombs and monuments. I spent hours here enjoying the marvels of the Mughal architecture. The most famous site is Huyaman's tomb but there are lesser structures with interesting history dotted throughout this necropolis. Huyaman's tomb is supposed to be the prototype for the Taj Mahal. Not having sseen the Taj before I took this picture, I could not accurately comment on it's similiarlity -- now I can say it is the Taj's little cousin.
Directions: Take a tuk tuk or taxi as there is no Metro nearby.
Street Scene at the Chowdri Bazzar Metro Station
Go back in time when you leave the spotless train station in to the chaotic streets that lead to Jama Masjid. Every lane seems to be dedicated to a different trade -- tyre repair shops lined one street, plumbing supplies another. When in Delhi you will find much less hassle from touts and beggars in this part of the city. It seems to be a real working class enclave rather than some tourist driven colony.
After a ten minute walk you will reach the magnificent mosque- Jama Masjid -- the largest in India. I found this to be the most appealing structure in Delhi -- and there are a lot to choose from. Maybe I am exagerating, Huyamans Tomb is quite engaging also.
Address: Metro Stop Chowdri Bazzar
Directions: Old Delhi
More Reviews (3)
NYTim's Related Pages
Union Territory of Delhi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Delhi - A City Full of History and Monuments"
- "DELHI - CITIES UPON CITIES"
- "Wow what a place, disgustingly beautiful."
- "The Capital City of India"
- "National Capital region"
- "OLD DELHI"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Union Territory of Delhi
- Hotels in Union Territory of Delhi
- Transportation in Union Territory of Delhi
- Nightlife in Union Territory of Delhi
- Restaurants in Union Territory of Delhi
- Shopping in Union Territory of Delhi
- Warnings and Dangers in Union Territory of Delhi
- See All...
Explore the World
- La Pineda
- Aberdare National Park
- Fin Hotels
- Tottori-ken Hotels
- Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Hotels
- Effingham Hotels
Badges & Stats in Union Territory of Delhi
- 17 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 80 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Union Territory of Delhi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Union Territory of Delhi
Top 10 Pages
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Hue Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Da Lat Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Agra Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Haifa Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos