"Wow what a place, disgustingly beautiful." Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Delhi by NYTim

Union Territory of Delhi Travel Guide: 2,985 reviews and 7,139 photos

Delhi arrival

I arrived at 9 pm. The first thing I noticed was the smog -- I could actually see it and taste it -- not a great welcome. Fortunately the airport was quiet and my taxi to the Master Paying Guest House was waiting for me. The taxi ride was hell. Crazy drivers -- including mine -- and beggars at every stop light. Young brightly dressed women, with very bad teeth, holding infants and knocking on the car window, beset me at every stop. Not a great intro to the city, was my initial thought. The taxi, after 45 minutes, pulled into a dark side street and after opening the door the driver led me down a dark alley. I was a bit worried, but I was wrong a bell was rung and a young man appeared and led me inside. Welcome to Delhi -- at last.

Walking around

Delhi is a difficult city to walk in. Every tout and hawker seems to zone in on you. In Connought Circle *** appeared on my brothers shoes and by magic a wee fellow appeared and volunteered to clean it off. Fortunately we knew of this scam and told him to f%^k off. After a while we got used to the scam artists, official tourist agents, beggars and the like and just ignored them. Then we started to enjoy the city.

• Last visit to Union Territory of Delhi: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2007

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Unfortuanately your photos depict a wrong image of Delhi.I think it was a beautiful green city.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2008 at 10:12 AM

All warnings would make me feel that I have to prepare very good to enjoy the India trip.

NYTim

“Travel light and eat local food.”

Badges & Stats in Union Territory of Delhi

Have you been to Union Territory of Delhi?

Latest Activity in Union Territory of Delhi