"First trip to the USA" Maine by HarryPotterMk2

Maine Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 9 photos

Lots of Trees

Rhonda, a friend I met on MySpace, came to see the UK in 2006, and I returned with her to the visit her place in Maine. Before that, we stopped off in Philadelphia to visit another friend and do the touristy bit. Philadelphia is a lovely city, but Maine has more trees... I think the state has about 95 percent tree coverage!

During my visit I saw many of the Maine residents wearing extra layers of clothing. But I found the temperature just cool: maybe it's me (I'm a March baby) with my habit of walking the UK hills without a jacket, acclimatised to the cooler UK weather?

Big hills

Rhonda and her family decided to show me one of Maine's many fabulous views, from the top of Little Jackson mountain (which we reached via the Little Jackson Trail). This was a 2 and a half mile 'walk' (!) up a steep boulder strewn path, and I hadn't done a mountain like this since I did Snowden (Wales, UK) oh, years ago. My legs turned to jelly on the way down, and calve muscles were stiff and aching the next day.

I'm Not Stroking That...

...It's big, and with pointy bits! I don't care if it looks tame and just wants to be loved. One of the many animals at Fryeberg Fair, a yearly event in Maine. The rest includes poultry, rabbits, birds, cattle, sheep, etc. There are plenty of places to eat, lots to see, entertainment for adults and kids, and plenty to spend your money on.

• Pros:Fantastic Fall colours! Lots of trees and lakes, and Peak's Island (off the coast of Portland).
  • Cons:There's a mosquito season, and Winters can be very cold.
  • Last visit to Maine: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2008

Comments

HarryPotterMk2's Related Pages

HarryPotterMk2

“Never make a pact with old age!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.