"The Circle City" Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis by staindesign

Indianapolis Travel Guide: 537 reviews and 916 photos

Indy from a Local

Indianapolis is a great city to live in, I've been here 10 yrs now. This city has so much to offer, as far as, events in a variety of genres. Most people come to Indy for conferences or the big time sporting events, but I implore you to take a look at the local scene. There is some event every night of the week, yet the city holds a lot of small town charm.

I won't bore you with the history of the place, that is easy to find out by visiting our state museum if you are into that sort of thing. I'm revamping this page bc it is out dated and sort of boring. Anyone can get a travel book to discover the basic local attractions, but only a local can give you insight to the best festivals, what is and is not worth the money, and where to get a good cup of coffee. I like to eat, so there will be tons of food recommendations and unfortunately places to avoid. I don't know about you, but I need some local when I'm visiting a place. Too much touristy gets expensive and dull.

*All recommendations are based upon personal experience. I only talk about places I've actually experienced.

Why come to Indy?

It's undeniable that this city has a lot of cool events. And I believe pretty much everyone can find something they'd like either in the city or the area.

Let's be frank: indianapolis is beautiful. They spent some serious dough a few years ago to clean up and repair downtown when the Super Bowl came to town. We have great lighting, pothole free streets, lots of new murals, and pedestrian friendly streets. Not to mention, good shopping and tasty places to eat. (definitely check out my awesome eating downtown tip) Now, downtown is lovely and not a shabby bore that it once was when I moved to city a decade ago.

• Pros:Pretty much always something to do here!
  • Cons:winter, the new colts stadium, & the insane growth in population
  • In a nutshell:There is more than corn in Indiana
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2013

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Nice shot of the monument!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Hi, Abi! Your tips and pictures are amazing! They make me want to visit the city!

• rcsparty's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Great Indy page..it was one of our favorite places to live (Carmel) and 1st daughter was born at Community North.

• bradbeaman's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 2:25 AM

Hi, Our family is living in Asia now so it is a stretch for me to claim hometown Fishers. I love your Indy monument Christimas tree picture.

• sebblit7's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2006 at 4:51 AM

Thanks for the graham cracker offer abi, it's okay though I'm hoping we can wean her off. Gurds, now there's a new name for me, run over to wikipedia and create an entry, they're not listed!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 6:16 PM

Thanks for stopping by...I guess I blew through Indianapolis and missed a lot. Thanks for sharing; I especially like the tip about the running trail in town. I'm always looking for good places to run!

• Oct 13, 2006 at 2:57 AM

yeah its the writer in me hahahaha thanks for dropping by

• pourparafor's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 7:03 PM

Hi Abi! keep up with great tips I am getting some good ideas here. NO Racing we may have to revoke your INDY visa!

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 4:00 PM

all good tips

staindesign Lives Here!

staindesign

“Now that we found each other, let's see everything.”

Badges & Stats in Indianapolis

Have you been to Indianapolis?

Latest Activity in Indianapolis