"Opportunity Knock on my Travel Door" staindesign's Profile
Happy New Year 2012!
Back from Portland, really great hiking there!
I've been planning my world tour for about 2 years so far. A starting date has not been decided nor many of the details. It is about perspective, Edward Hasbrock put the idea of at least a year in tangible terms. His book the Practical Nomad gave me perspective of what a gift a trip around the world would actually mean. Logistics are important, but awareness is all the preparation. Hasbrock's main message that I received was to learn to enjoy and let the adventure happen to you. Planning is impossible.
Step 1: What do I need to see? Edward Hasbrock suggests choosing 4-6 destinations, then as you travel from one destination to the other that is open and basically the universe decides what you are going to experience. He does provide important information to be safe and how to actually do things as efficient (money & time) as possible.
I've choose: (Machu Pichu) Peru, Antartica, Nepal, Morocco, Iceland or Finland, & Borneo
Step 2: How to afford it? Obviously, 1 yr will take some serious money management. If I want to get the experiences that I desire; to live like the locals, to really learn about a place; I might stay in one place longer. Thus, the price of traveling by plane & bus is quite a bit more expensive than a homestay or a hostel. Hasbrock gave rough estimates averaging $15,000 - $18,000USD for a years' trip.
Step 3: Getting your home life in your home country arranged where it can be left for a year. Figuring out what to do with your home/morgage, car, student loans, pets, family, etc.
Step 4: Setting departure date & Going!
Life creates hurdles, but until I can actually set out on my dream trip I will continue to day dream about the places I will visit and read about what I may see. Sometimes it is hard to think globally, this tiny blue marble floating in a huge gallaxy has so much to offer. I have regional trips I desire. To spend 6 months back packing from the north of South America to Patagonia in the south would be fullfilling if i never get my world tour. More time in a smaller space would create an intamacy that I might not achieve otherwise. Another region of interest is Southeast Asia, so many cultures in a span of not much actual physical land is intriguing.
There is one lesson I want to learn, how to be happy and content where ever I am. Being far from home and not returning for much time, I hope will teach me to live in another way that I haven't known or cannot understand at this moment. I want to say that I lived well, I enjoyed life as it was meant to be lived. I will learn what is true appreciation.
I love history, culture, food, people, nature.....I want to experience anything that will enrich my life. Experience is the only thing that you can truely keep forever.
WORLD HERITAGE SITES> UNESCO
The World Heritage Website is very interesting. Once I came upon some information about teotihuacan being a UNESCO site, i looked it up immediately and was very impressed by the vast amount of effort put forth into recording and saving these special sites. I love that it is called "World Heritage", I am able to feel a real human connection to each place on the list. Each place I visit become a treasure to me, I love culture and diversity, but I truely love human history!
visited UNESCO sites:
1. Mexico City center & Xochimilco
2. Teotihuacan (unfortunately I have lost the photos, it was pre-digital camera days; so I need to go again)
3. Segovia, Spain
4. Toledo, Spain
5. Statue of Liberty (I forgot my camera at home, how dumb am I!)
6. Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky
7. Aachen Cathedral, Germany
8. San Francisco Cathedral & Catacombs Lima, Peru
9. Lineas de Nazca, Peru
10. City Center of Lima, Peru
11 La Fortaleza, Puerto Rico
Unfortunately, i'm unable to travel with my own personal photographer. When i face the dilemma that i need to ask a person passing by to take a photo of myself alone or with friends...it seems that the general population lacks heavily in basic point and shoot skills. The face get cut off, the background isn't included, its too close or too far, blurry...... I don't get it.
I vow any photo I take for strangers will be the best of my ability!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 205 Reviews
- 283 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- Uploaded a Photo to "VT drinks w/ Art"
- staindesign and kiwigal_1 are now friends.
- Commented on TooTallFinn24's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Opportunity Knock on my Travel Door"
- Wrote a Review Food Truck Galore! in Portland Restaurants
- updated a Portland Travel Page "Keeping Portland Weird!"
- Uploaded a Video to Puerto Rico
- Posted in Travel Portland Forum "Re: SALSA DANCING IN PORTLAND FEB..."
PhotosSee All Photos (283)
VideosSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 53 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Rico Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Cave National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 32 photos
- Lima Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos
- Nazca Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chicago Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Aachen Intro, 15 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Warren Dunes State Park Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22172 Reviews - 53908 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23065 Reviews - 47272 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8349 Reviews - 17018 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4475 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7646 Reviews - 19527 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos