Heidelberg Favorite Tips by Krystynn
Heidelberg Favorites: 121 reviews and 154 photos
Favorite thing: wander around ALTSTADT, the Old Town area. For me, this is the most ideal way of exploring a place. The Old Town does not cover a particularly large area... so don't panic about getting lost here. :-) You can start your exploration right from Bismarckplatz (like what I did). From Bismarckplatz, stroll along the pedestrianized high street called 'Hauptstrasse'. For the shopaholics amongst us - hear ye, hear ye! This is the main shopping street in Heidelberg and you'll definitely go dizzy at the many opportunities to pick up some of your favorite souvenirs or stop for a coffee break/ bite to eat.
Fondest memory: See what I chanced upon whilst wandering along Altstadt? Haus zum Ritter (or 'Knight's house' in English) - just off Marktplatz. This is apparently the oldest Renaissance-style private house (built in 1592) in Heidelberg. It is today a quaint and lovely hotel!
Favorite thing: explore every nook and cranny of the HEIDELBERG CASTLE. You MUST go out onto the Belvedere Terrace (like what I did in the pic below). There, you'd be rewarded with great panoramic views of the entire Old Town.
Fondest memory: And this is the view you'd see from up here at Belvedere Terrace of the Old Town and the River Neckar.
Fondest memory: Inside the castle grounds (courtyard), you'd be quite impressed with the different sections and architecture of this castle. Really! And on one side of the courtyard lies the entrance to the Cellar where the GROSSES FASS ('Big Barrel' or 'Big Tun' as it is being called) is found. Er... and don't worry, no extra payment is required of you to enter. Well, in case you didn't realize, the Big Barrel is infact the biggest wooden barrel ever to have been filled with wine. Amazing. (See photo below). The barrel was constructed in 1751 and can hold over 221,000 liters of wine. Cheers!
Fondest memory: <i>Fondest memory??</i> Climbing up... <i>no</i>, trudging up is more like it (!!)...the steep hill to the castle!! (<i>Pant! Pant</i>!!). Now don't you laugh. Wait till it's YOUR turn to visit this place! O.K., if you're a history buff like (ahem) me, there are quite alot of things to see and lots of history to soak up here.
You can either explore the castle grounds on your own or join the guided tour. For the <i>El Cheapos</i> amongst us (read: cheap skate), you'd be ecstatic to know that it doesn't cost you a cent to stroll around the castle gardens; however, you will have to pay to enter the castle courtyard. A further charge is levied if you want to go inside... or what's left of it.
<i>My personal recommendation?</i> Considering the uphill climb and all, forget about saving pennies. Just pay and join the guided tour available.
Fondest memory: Another view of the Heidelberg Castle....
Fondest memory: Here's a view of the Old Town from the Heidelberg Castle.
Favorite thing: explore the HEIDELBERG CASTLE. If you come to Heidelberg and yet don't visit this castle, you can't claim to have seen everything here. For, this is what Heidelberg is reeeeeally famous for. And here I am on the castle grounds in the middle of spring where the temperature was a chilly 0° celcius that morning. Brrr....
More Reviews (14)
Krystynn's Related Pages
Heidelberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG"
- "This is not Heidelberg Castle, is it???"
- "Huckleberry Berg"
- "Heidelberg – a constant inspiration"
- "Nemorino in Heidelberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heidelberg
- Hotels in Heidelberg
- Transportation in Heidelberg
- Nightlife in Heidelberg
- Restaurants in Heidelberg
- Shopping in Heidelberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Heidelberg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kepala Batas Hotels
- Antofagasta Hotels
- Bell Harbour Hotels
- Cundys Harbor Hotels
Badges & Stats in Heidelberg
- 22 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 78 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Heidelberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heidelberg
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 63 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 61 reviews, 132 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 87 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 50 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 43 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 59 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Heidelberg hotel reviews
- Crowne Plaza Heidelberg
- 285 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Weisser Bock
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Hotel Hollander Hof
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Alt Heidelberg
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Hotel Regina
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Hotel Am Schloss
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2013
- Hotel Goldene Rose
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel Zum Seppl
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 25, 2013
- NH Hotel Heidelberg
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Gasthaus Hackteufel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Denner Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Hotel Classic Inn
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Marriott Heidelberg Hotel
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Castle/Schloss- 175 Reviews, 305 Photos
- Philosophenweg- 21 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Old Town/Altstadt- 34 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Old Bridge- 35 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Museums- 21 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Churches- 15 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Kornmarkt- 11 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Grosses Fass- 9 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Heiliggeistkirche- 17 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Town Hall/Rathaus- 9 Reviews, 9 Photos
See All Heidelberg Things to Do