"I Finally Made It to HEIDELBERG!" Heidelberg by Krystynn

Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,050 reviews and 2,793 photos

For me, a perfect holiday would be to spend time away from the bustling crowd... as in - far from the maddening crowd, ya know?

So I must pat myself on the back for choosing to explore this lovely old university town called HEIDELBERG, located just 80KM to the south of Frankfurt.

Situated at the heart of Germany, Heidelberg really isn't a large town; boasting a population of less than 150,000 people (my guidebook said so!). I spent most of my time strolling in and around the Old Town which starts at BISMARCKPLATZ - the main hub for trams/ buses located at one end of the Hauptstrasse. You probably won't get to see too many cars in the Old Town area.... or at the Haupstrasse which has been pedestrianized!

"One of the gladdest moments of human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of habit, the leaden weight of routine, the cloak of many cares and the slavery of home, man feels once more happy."
- Sir Richard Burton

Footnote: This travel page has been written from my very first impressions of this beautiful university town on my first visit in the early-1990s. Our most recent trip back to Heidelberg was in Spring 2002. I hope you'll find my experiences useful in helping you plan for your forthcoming holiday.

Thank you.