"PORTUGAL: A Glorious Country!" Portugal by Krystynn
Portugal Travel Guide: 19,499 reviews and 54,800 photos
Lisbon's Torre de Belem (or in English, the Tower of Belem) is an impressive monument which has come to symbolize the City and the Age of Discoveries. (Please see pic above).
This is perhaps Portugal's most photographed landmark! In the days of old, Manuel 1 had intended this monument to act as a fortress to guard the entrance to Lisboa's great harbor.
Come face to face with Portuguese history and passion in the proud capital of LISBON and the tranquil holy city of FATIMA.
You'll be able to keep company with Portugal's master seafarers and their Fado singers; Marvel at the lost wonders of this once titanic kingdom cum super-power. And celebrate the night away drinking Portuguese port!
I hope you'd enjoy your virtual trip to LISBON, the Holy City of FATIMA and the rest of PORTUGAL just as much as I've enjoyed presenting it to you.
THE PORTUGAL FACTFILE:
Country name: Republica Portuguesa
Population: Approx. 10 million
Capital: Lisboa (Lisbon)
Climate: Lisbon has an Atlantic climate, with some Mediterranean influences.
Religions: Roman Catholic 97%, Protestant denominations 1%, other 2%
Government Type: Parliamentary democracy
Independence: 1140 (independent republic proclaimed 5 October 1910)
National Holiday: Day of Portugal, 10 June (1580)
- 21st March onwards - Concerto da Primavera
- 4th Sunday after Easter - Prociss?o dos Terceiros Franciscanos
- 25th April - Dia da Liberdade
- April to May - Festival Internacional de Teatro
- April to September - ?poca Taurom?quica
- 1st May - Dia do Trabalhador
- May to June - Feira do Livro
- 10th June - Dia de Cam?es
- June - Festas da Cidade
- 12 and 13 June - Festa de Santo Ant?nio
- 23rd and 24th of June - Festa de S?o Jo?o
- 25th to 1st July - Festa de S?o Pedro
- 5th October - Implanta??o da Rep?blica
- 1st November - Dia de Todos os Santos
- 15th August - Dia da Assun??o
Useful Lisbon Telephone Numbers:
- Emergency (Police, Fire Brigade, Ambulance) - 112/115
- Hospital de Santa Maria - 217 959 242
- Hospital S?o Francisco Xavier - 213 017 351
- Hospital S?o Jos? - 218 866 761
- Airport - 218 413 500
- Train Information - 218 884 025
- Tourist Information - 213 463 643
The bulk of the above info are taken from: The CIA World Factbook (Updated: 2001).
"Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art."
- Freya Stark
Copyright (c) Krystynn 2003
Please do not take my personal pics without prior permission.
Spend some time exploring the magnificent Mosteiro dos Jeronimos (or in English, Jeronimos Monastery) here in Lisboa.... more travel advice
Here I am spending an afternoon shopping and sightseeing at Rua Augusta in Lisboa; this place is filled with an eclectic... more travel advice
- See All Have I already mentioned that...
- Packing List
- See All Alright, if you must know - I...
- See All From my personal encounters,...
Krystynn's Related Pages
Portugal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portugal in my heart"
- "Portugal my lovely country"
- "Wonderful Portugal"
- "Portugal by Car"
- "Portugal - Country of Batles"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portugal
- Hotels in Portugal
- Transportation in Portugal
- Nightlife in Portugal
- Restaurants in Portugal
- Shopping in Portugal
- Warnings and Dangers in Portugal
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Portugal
- 33 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Portugal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portugal
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 63 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 61 reviews, 132 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 87 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 50 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 43 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 59 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (73)
Top Portugal hotels
- Albufeira Hotels
- 360 Reviews - 664 Photos
- Lisbon Hotels
- 5119 Reviews - 12617 Photos
- Funchal Hotels
- 500 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Alvor Hotels
- 126 Reviews - 363 Photos
- Porto Hotels
- 991 Reviews - 2484 Photos
- Faro Hotels
- 230 Reviews - 766 Photos
- Cascais Hotels
- 449 Reviews - 2294 Photos
- Lagos Hotels
- 244 Reviews - 621 Photos
- Ponta Delgada Hotels
- 117 Reviews - 310 Photos
- Tavira Hotels
- 194 Reviews - 385 Photos
- Estoril Hotels
- 61 Reviews - 351 Photos
- Portimão Hotels
- 66 Reviews - 241 Photos
- Quarteira Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 62 Photos
- Pinhão Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 190 Photos
- Praia da Rocha Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 70 Photos