"The Magnificent Hearst Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination San Simeon by Krystynn
San Simeon Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 337 photos
Nestled in the Santa Lucia Mountains of California.... on a hill-top overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean lies the former home of newspaper magnate, William Randolph Hearst.
For nearly 28 years, architects and builders came together and labored to create a magnificent estate of grandiose proportions with 165 rooms and 127 acres of gardens, terraces, pools and walkways. Its many, many rooms have been furnished with a dazzling collection of Spanish and Italian antiques and art. And this fabulous castle has played hosts to many glittering Hollywood film stars like Clark Gable and Carole Lombard - who were friends of Mr W. R. Hearst himself.
Are you interested to know what's the Spanish name for Hearst Castle? Yes, me too! :-)) Well, it's La Cuesta Encantada.
Today, this castle is a State Historical Monument, thanks to Mr Hearst who donated it to the Government (after his death) in 1951.
Enough said; now, why don't you come along with me as I bring you a grand tour around this splendid castle that would make even our dear friend, Alice in Wonderland gasp in awe (most surely!).
Footnote: This travel page is written from my very first impressions of this beautiful city on my first visit in 2001. I hope you'll find my experiences useful in helping you plan for your forthcoming holiday. Thank you.
Copyright © Krystynn 2003
Please do not take my personal pics without prior permission. Thanks.
- Pros:Tranquil. Idyllic. Peaceful. Quiet. Awesome Castle. Beautiful Beach = San Simeon
- Cons:The weather can get very, very chilly and foggy even in July!
- In a nutshell:San Simeon is definitely more than just the Hearst Castle. ;-) I don't mind retiring in this place (in my old age, that is).
The lovely Fountain found in the Courtyard here at the HEARST CASTLE. more travel advice
Let's go inside for a short while to admire it's splendid Indoor Roman Pool. This is it, folks! more travel advice
Krystynn's Related Pages
San Simeon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hearst Castle in San Simeon"
- "Home of Hearst Castle"
- "San Simeon-Hearst Castle and Elephant Seals"
- "The Magnificent Hearst Castle"
- "San Simeon - Pacific Coast Hwy 1 Drive"
- "More than the Hearst Castle in San Simeon"
- "Roundtrip USA : part 4 San Simeon & Hearst Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Simeon
- Hotels in San Simeon
- Transportation in San Simeon
- Nightlife in San Simeon
- Restaurants in San Simeon
- Shopping in San Simeon
- Warnings and Dangers in San Simeon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Simeon
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to San Simeon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Simeon
Photos in San SimeonSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 63 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 61 reviews, 132 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 87 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 50 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 43 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 59 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue