"The Magnificent Hearst Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination San Simeon by Krystynn

San Simeon Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 337 photos

Nestled in the Santa Lucia Mountains of California.... on a hill-top overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean lies the former home of newspaper magnate, William Randolph Hearst.

For nearly 28 years, architects and builders came together and labored to create a magnificent estate of grandiose proportions with 165 rooms and 127 acres of gardens, terraces, pools and walkways. Its many, many rooms have been furnished with a dazzling collection of Spanish and Italian antiques and art. And this fabulous castle has played hosts to many glittering Hollywood film stars like Clark Gable and Carole Lombard - who were friends of Mr W. R. Hearst himself.

Are you interested to know what's the Spanish name for Hearst Castle? Yes, me too! :-)) Well, it's La Cuesta Encantada.

Today, this castle is a State Historical Monument, thanks to Mr Hearst who donated it to the Government (after his death) in 1951.

Enough said; now, why don't you come along with me as I bring you a grand tour around this splendid castle that would make even our dear friend, Alice in Wonderland gasp in awe (most surely!).

Footnote: This travel page is written from my very first impressions of this beautiful city on my first visit in 2001. I hope you'll find my experiences useful in helping you plan for your forthcoming holiday. Thank you.

Copyright © Krystynn 2003
Please do not take my personal pics without prior permission.
Thanks.

• Pros:Tranquil. Idyllic. Peaceful. Quiet. Awesome Castle. Beautiful Beach = San Simeon
  • Cons:The weather can get very, very chilly and foggy even in July!
  • In a nutshell:San Simeon is definitely more than just the Hearst Castle. ;-) I don't mind retiring in this place (in my old age, that is).
  • Last visit to San Simeon: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2003

Krystynn

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Badges & Stats in San Simeon

Have you been to San Simeon?

Latest Activity in San Simeon