"The 2,000-Year Old City By The Rhine - COLOGNE" Cologne by Krystynn
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,609 reviews and 4,007 photos
Greetings from beautiful COLOGNE!
By the time we caught a glimpse of the gothic Cologne Cathedral by the Rhine River, it was already 1PM... no thanks to the horrible traffic jam on the autobahns. Sigh.
Cologne, the captivating city in Rhineland is famed for - wanna make a wild guess? - yes, its twin-spired Cathedral, of course! No structure speaks more effectively for a reborn Germany than the impressive Cathedral (I think the German name for this landmark is - Kolner Dom).
Did you also know that this smoke-colored landmark took more than 500 years to build? Unbelievable. And today, it has somehow become one of the Nation's most powerful icon.
Cologne, one of the greatest cities on the Rhine, has a long history dating back to about 50 BC when it was established as a Roman outpost. Approximately 100 years later it became the Roman city of Colonia. Recent excavations under the current city have revealed Roman ruins that are open to public view.
During World War II, nearly 90% of the central part of the city was destroyed. Miraculously, the Dom, the magnificent Gothic Cathedral that forms the heart and center of Cologne, was spared serious damage.
Live from: Koln Cathedral, Cologne
Today, Cologne is Germany's fourth largest city with approximately one million inhabitants. Known as the center for broadcast media in Germany, Cologne is also one of its country's most cosmopolitan cities, with large ethnic neighborhoods and international arts festivals.
Besides the Cathedral, Cologne also have many other attractions to entice a foreigner. Art lovers will be pleased to know that there are at least 30 OUTSTANDING museums alone in this city!
My favorite museum must surely be the Wallraf-Richartz Museum. For lovers of modern art, Museum Ludwig is THE place to go.
** From Cologne, you can also easily join an excursion to cruise down the Rhine river.
If you have some time to spare, I'd like to recommend that you have a cup of coffee at the splendid Excelsior Hotel (just across the street from the Cathedral). Very nice.
Have FUN... Oh, and don't forget to try their frankfurters and bratwurst too (yes, I admit it. I'm a hotdog junkie...).
"It is not down in any map; true places never are."
- Herman Melville
Copyright (c) Krystynn 2004
Please do not take my personal pics without prior permission.
This Cathedral is also famous for its impressive stained-glass windows. Pics just don't seem to do justice to the... more travel advice
And photograph the lovely City Hall. more travel advice
Krystynn's Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Köln am Rhein"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- "Cologne under Construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 16 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 66 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
- updated a Cologne Travel Page "The 2,000-Year Old City By The Rhine - COLOGNE"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Postcards from COLOGNE"
- Posted in Travel Milan Forum "Re: Milan New Years Eve??"
- Wrote a Review about Kölner Dom (Cologne Cathedral) in Cologne Favorites
- Commented on one of Lalique's Cologne travel pages
Photos in CologneSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 63 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 61 reviews, 132 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 87 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 50 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 43 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 59 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue