"FIRENZE = Una Città di Rinascita!" Florence by Krystynn
Florence Travel Guide: 5,098 reviews and 11,237 photos
Ah, Firenze. What an interesting city.
Of all the Italian cities and towns that I've visited thus far, the city of FLORENCE (in my eyes) currently holds the undisputed title of being - The Greatest Renaissance City. Yes, on Planet Earth. ;-)
This is the city brimming over with the finest treasures from mankind: the Duomo, Ghiberti's "Doors of Paradise", and Michelangelo's surreal Statue of David - the consummate symbol of man's rediscovery of man.
Art lovers will surely exclaim in glee "Amo adoro l'Uffizi!" as they head straight towards the magnificent museum.
Shopaholics (ahem) will go ga-ga over the leather goods in the Mercato San Lorenzo or rummage through the numerous jewelry shops of dotting the Ponte Vecchio. The highlight of a Florentine shopping expedition must surely be the Designer fashion outlets for brand names like Prado, Gucci, Armani etc.
The deeply religious will choose to spend half a day inside the church walls of the Santa Croce Basilica in quiet contemplation and prayer before the altar of Jesus Christ.
Florentines like Michelangelo, Machiavelli and Cellini presided over Italy's cultural rebirth and the Medici court became the Country's political and economic standard bearer. The fruits of this period are still very evident in the city's seemingly endless array of museums, churches and palazzi.
After extricating ourselves from the notorious traffic jams on the autostrada into Firenze (Florence), we headed straight to Piazzale Michelangelo for a panoramic view of this stupendous city which still manages to retain its amazing Renaissance beauty and vitality.
It's a real shame that I couldn't spend a longer time wandering around this city.... taking in the sights of the Old Town and window-shopping along its bustling shopping and tourist district! Sigh.
That would surely have made my trip - PERFECT and more worthwhile. But anyhow, I still did enjoy myself tremendously.
I will surely return to Florence again. Soon.
In the meantime.... Passo a prenditi! I'll come and pick you up... after you've checked in to your local hotel or bed & breakfast for an exhilerating tour around Firenze!
Yes, see you soon!
". . . the open road is a beckoning, a strangeness, a place where a man can lose himself."
- William Least Heat Moon (William Trogdon)
Copyright © Krystynn 2004
Please do not take my personal pics without prior permission.
- Pros:This is where it all began. Art & Culture. Renaissance art at its very best. Museums, Food, Shopping, Culture - Firenze has it all!
- Cons:Life would be meaningless for the visitor if he/she does not appreciate art, culture & heavenly Italian cuisine. Might as well stay home... if you're going to eat burgers (AGAIN!)
- In a nutshell:The city of Firenze aka Florence OOZES with art & culture from her every pore. The Renaissance man/woman in you will fall in love with this city - for sure.
visit Signoria Square....and marvel at the many eye-catching life-sized statues here! more travel advice
Yeah, don't forget to check out the lovely Ponte Vecchio bridge (see photo below) over the River Arno. It is indeed a... more travel advice
Krystynn's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekends in Florence"
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fabulous Florence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 26 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 80 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 63 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 61 reviews, 132 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 87 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 50 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 43 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 59 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Florence hotel reviews
- Villa Belvedere
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Hotel de la Ville
- 301 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Hotel Royal Firenze
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Villa Camerata Youth Hostel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- First of Florence Apart'Hotel
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Residenza Fiorentina
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Moderno
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2013
- Katti House B&B
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Carolus Hotel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Hotel Il Bargellino
- 310 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Fattoria Settemerli
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2013
- Plaza Lucchesi Hotel
- 485 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- 377 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Brunelleschi Hotel
- 632 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013