"La Dolce Vita In Milano ;-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Milan by Krystynn

Milan Travel Guide: 2,840 reviews and 7,134 photos

I Really Love Milan!

Pinch me. I can't believe I'm in Milan. Yes, Milan - the world's fashion capital and the richest city in the whole of the Italian peninsula. (Of course if you're speaking with a Roman, he'd vehemently dispute this claim). ;-)

Milan is a Metropolis throbbing with excitement and fun every second of the day. The only other city that can even come close and compare with Milan (in my humble eyes) would be MADRID. Folks in these cities don't sleep. Alright, maybe I'm exaggerating here a bit but I am really trying to share how intoxicating this city can be... and yes, I'm in love with this city. There are so many things to distract a foreigner/ tourist. I think you can tell. No wonder Milano (or Milan - as this city is popularly known in Inglese) is regarded as Italy's capital for both finance and fashion.

There are many benefits of being thrown - headfirst - into the Italian culture/ environment. Most of my best friends now are Italians. ;-) My (Italian) language ability has also skyrocketed; but there is still much room for improvement. For e.g. if someone gets excited and goes rattling off in Italian, I'll usually give them my signature blank stare. My brain don't work that fast, amico. Slow down, per favore. Having said all this, I think I've made some improvements... considering that I only started learning the Italian language in the Autumn of 2002.

In order not to feel out of place here in Milan, the "Corriere della Sera" and "La Gazetta Dello Sport" newspapers became my bible. Yeah, I read them every day - in print and online... although I must admit I take helluva long time to finish reading them! Hey, I'm trying to digest each and every Italian word, OK? I also try to understand the problems going on in the city and in this country because who knows... it might just affect my health (i.e. smog) or my favorite soccer team, AC Milan - owned by the Italian PM, Mr Silvio Berlusconi (the richest man in Italy).

Besides catching 2 AC Milan soccer matches in the San Siro in 2002 i.e. Milan vs Inter (Serie A) and Milan vs Bayern Munich (Champion's League 2002/2003 season), I also made sure I'm best of pals with the sales assistants at the Armani superstore and Roberto Cavalli boutique (hehe... for obvious reasons!). Also managed to squeeze in some time to catch Leonardo Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" (after having heard sooo much about it). And even though I'm not a Catholic, I attended mass at the world's 3rd largest cathedral - yes, at Il Duomo - just for the experience, ya know. Talk about a major religious experience!

Your stay in Milan will be even more memorable if you catch some great Italian movie at al cinema! Si? " La Finestra Di Fronte" and "Io Non Ho Paura" were my favorite Italian movies for 2003.

Let's start with "La Finestra Di Fronte" (translation: The Window in Front"). Raoul Bova is as always - ridiculously handsome. ;-) Yes, he's the Italian Renaissance dude who starred with Diane Lane in 'Under the Tuscan Sun'. Don't watch this movie with il mio ragazzo. He will definitely not understand what you see in Raoul Bova. Men! For a brief synopsis of this interesting movie, please check out my little write-up in "Cinemas Screening English Language Movies" under GENERAL TIPS. And need I add that the movie's theme song "Gocce di Memoria" sung beautifully by top Italian artiste, Giorgia was bellissima! This song shot to No. 1 in the Italian pop charts in the latter part of 2003. Mi piace la musica Italiana. Molto fantastico!

Il Mio Affare di Amore con i Movies Italiani

"Io Non Ho Paura" (Translation: "I'm Not Scared") was Italy's entry to the 2003 Oscar Award under the "Best Foreign Film" category. And I'm not scared to share that it's a story about a group of innocent children living somewhere in southern Italy. One day, one of the boys chanced upon a big secret in a broken down house in a remote section of the countryside. This big secret will change the boy's life - forever. An excellent movie with a shocking twist at the end. But take heart - the boy didn't die! I had to add this in as the bulk of my amici thought he died. No.... No... No...

Oh, I love Milan! And my love affair with Italian movies will definitely continue right through 2004 onwards.

Yes, it's really been great fun living in Milano. I mean, where else can you find a designer boutique that has a bar in it... or bars that are book shops... tea shops that hold ceramic courses... or getting a massage at a plant center (I'm referring to the 360? store)...

Sounds interesting huh? Yup, it's all here in Milan. Where? MILAN, the city of style and fashion (No city in the world - not even Paris, London, New York or Tokyo - can boast of such advanced ameneties and chic style)!

Dovunque Sei.... Dovunque Vai...

Yes.... Wherever you are.... Wherever you go....

Being able to mix my busy work life with some sightseeing, cooking, shopping, clubbing... and more sightseeing, shopping, clubbing, shopping and more shopping... is a dream come true for me.

Next on my travel agenda? To go skiing in the Italian Alps; then perhaps, travel to other parts of continental Europe.

Ah, la dolce vita.

"The use of travelling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are."
- Samuel Johnson

Copyright (c) Krystynn 2004
Please do not take my personal pics without prior permission.
Thanks.

• Pros:Everyone looks FABULOUS here, including grandmothers!
  • Cons:Hardly anyone speaks English!
  • In a nutshell:Milan - the High Temple of Style, Fashion & Beautiful People!
  • Last visit to Milan: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2004

• jessejames58's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Greetings, Going to Milan for 10 days with a buddy. Should I brush up on my Italian or will my English and Spanish be sufficient?

• Leesa88's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Hi Krystynn, how did you get to work in such a fabulous place and not knowing the language? Any vacancy for secretaries?

• Oct 6, 2008 at 4:50 AM

What an astonishing dress with light blue color combination. Especially, the arms and belt are giving it a fantastic look. Outsourcing Solution in BPO

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Hi, Krystynn ! I remember you wre #1 at VT when I joined it! You were the first to rate my page! Thanks for your pages!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Hi nice Milano photos. I used to geo there from Geneva. i have not seen many things you have shown. Perhaps I spent too much time for buying shoes. Have a good day.

• Sep 8, 2007 at 1:48 AM

i loved milan since i was littl.i would realy love to work in milan after i complete school.and thanks to krystynn for the intro to the best city in the world,very informative for young people like me.forza milan!

• Aug 19, 2007 at 3:02 AM

Pippo always come through. I don't get comments putting him down. He's a super supersub ... when things are going badly, throw Pippo on and usually he works a miracle as evidenced countless times! And .. Paolo Maldini - God. Period.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 3:33 AM

Krystynn, you sure are a dedicated Milan supporter. Hope to see AC Milan live one day, my favourite international club, too. I remember fondly the times when van Basten was still playing and they just ruled Europe...

• Jun 22, 2007 at 3:07 PM

I live in South Africa. We plan to come over to visit Milan for the Italian Grand Prix on the 9 Sept. I've been surfing the net for more information on what to pack, weather, etc. I've found your pages to be the most informative so far. Thanks so much.

• May 21, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Do you know when Sunday Mass is typically conducted at the Duomo? I can't seem to find it on any other webpage, and this is the only one that actually references the Sunday mass. Thanks

Krystynn Lives Here!

Krystynn

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Badges & Stats in Milan