"The One & Only CASABLANCA" Casablanca by Krystynn
Casablanca Travel Guide: 531 reviews and 1,390 photos
Welcome to the bustling city of CASABLANCA - the commercial heartbeat of the Kingdom of Morocco!
The most famous Moorish monument must surely be the Hassan II Mosque. Three times the size of London's St. Paul's Cathedral, it boasts a 530ft high minaret with a 30-mile-long laser beam pointing towards Mecca.
I know this next suggestion may sound very touristy... but what the heck! We are tourists after all, aren't we? :-) Don't miss Bar Casablanca, which recaptures the atmosphere of the fabled "Rick's Bar", made famous in the movie "Casablanca" (starring Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman). Remember the immortal words - "Play it again, Sam"
CASABLANCA is modern, clean, safe and everyone's really friendly and the guys here don't gawk at a woman as if she were the only living thing on planet Earth. :-)
Of course, what attracted me most about this city is it's unique architecture - that comes in the form of the Hassan II Mosque. Reportedly, the BIGGEST mosque in the world, it is worth spending time to go and explore this site. I was so overwhelmed, that when I left this city, I discovered that I hadn't taken many other pictures but of this mosque. Duh.
Back to the historical background of Casablanca:
It was the Berbers who first settled here... and it was later taken over by the Arab invaders. However, it was the Europeans who greatly influenced its history. Taken over by the Portuguese in the 1500s, it stayed until the 1700s when a massive earthquake almost destroyed the entire city.
In the 1800s, Casablanca became a port for European nations exporting grain and wool from central Morocco.
In the 1900s, the French took over the City which explains for the huge French influence here. :-)
". . .If people and their manner of living were alike everywhere, there would not be much point in moving from one place to another."
- Paul Bowles
Copyright (c) Krystynn 2003
Please do not take my personal pics without prior permission.
I've written down some more tips which you may find interesting... If you can, try and carry a few colorful postcards/... more travel advice
The water... Local Customs (3)
Drinking Water: The water is NOT SAFE TO DRINK here in Morocco. So... don't even DRINK the FRUIT JUICES here (because... more travel advice
Krystynn's Related Pages
Casablanca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Real Casablanca is not a Hollywood image"
- "C A S A B L A N C A, Toursit trap or not?"
- "Modern town"
- "TWO DAYS IN "CASA""
- "As time goes by"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Casablanca
- Hotels in Casablanca
- Transportation in Casablanca
- Nightlife in Casablanca
- Restaurants in Casablanca
- Shopping in Casablanca
- Warnings and Dangers in Casablanca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Casablanca
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 79 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Casablanca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Casablanca
Photos in CasablancaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 63 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 61 reviews, 132 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 87 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 50 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 43 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 59 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue