"Ireland" Ireland by konejos
Ireland Travel Guide: 15,531 reviews and 34,389 photos
Newgrange is an ancient site older than the pyramids of Egypt.
It is a 110 meter diameter circular burial ground?
The winter solstice is the only day of the year when the suns rays penetrate through a slit above the entrance to the center of the interior chamber.
The history of Ireland is one of conquest. Round towers and Celtic crosses dot the landscape.
The Celts came in about 300 BC leaving many monuments.
St. Patrick came about 432 AD bringing the Christian religion.
The Scandinavian Vikings came in the ninth century.
The Normans came in about 1169 AD leaving many castles and other monuments.
Finally the British came at the time of Henyr VIII about (1534). But the real conquest was engineered by his daughter, Elizabeth who ruled from 1558-1603. The British did not want France or Spain to gain a foothold in Ireland, so it became a land of occupation by the British.
When the Irish Chieftains were defeated in Northern Ireland about 1600 and driven out, the way was set for the present conflict. Thousands of Scottish Presbyterians settled this north part of Ireland leading to the formation of the counties comprising Ulster today.
Here St. Patrick came in 432. This was one of the better monuments I saw in my visit to both northern and southern Ireland.
Casjel is in the south of Ireland.
Ireland is like a bowl with mountains on the perimeter.
You can make a circular route from Dublin south and see Glendalough, Rock of Cashel, castles, Blarney Castle (get the gift of the gab), Norman castles, Celtic monuments, the Ring of Kerry, Dingle Penisula and up north to Giant's Causeway and into northern Ireland in about a week.
- Pros:Ireland is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe, with 100's of shades of green.
- Cons:Rains a lot
- In a nutshell:Fantastic scenery, friendly people. I suggest a car to really see Ireland.
konejos' Related Pages
Ireland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of my favorite places in Europe"
- "Ireland - I wouldn't start from here"
- "Leprechauns Make Me Do It!!!"
- "IRELAND - The Adventure"
- "My Ireland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ireland
- Hotels in Ireland
- Transportation in Ireland
- Nightlife in Ireland
- Restaurants in Ireland
- Shopping in Ireland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ireland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ireland
- 1 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Ireland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ireland
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Poland Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Israel Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Turkey Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ephesus Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 3 photos
Top Ireland hotels
- Dublin Hotels
- 5063 Reviews - 9245 Photos
- Galway Hotels
- 509 Reviews - 926 Photos
- Killarney Hotels
- 274 Reviews - 597 Photos
- Sligo Hotels
- 153 Reviews - 248 Photos
- Cork Hotels
- 574 Reviews - 1441 Photos
- Limerick Hotels
- 267 Reviews - 293 Photos
- Wicklow Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Kilkenny Hotels
- 288 Reviews - 593 Photos
- Clifden Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 172 Photos
- Waterford Hotels
- 168 Reviews - 411 Photos
- Kinsale Hotels
- 183 Reviews - 391 Photos
- Ennis Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Falcarragh Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Wexford Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 207 Photos
- Dungarvan Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 90 Photos