"Truly Gods own Country" Kovalam by paul-motley

Kovalam Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 335 photos

My Introduction To India.

Ever since about 1988 myself and my friend who’s family originates from Indian have promised ourselves a visit to Indian, at the time we were both going through a divorce and promised ourselves the holiday we always wanted at that tome work and finances prevented us at that time (packages the were a lot dearer to long haul destinations). We thought years ago that when we did go it would be a visit to Goa probably due to our own ignorance of the Indian holiday destinations. Now many years on and with our new partners we have done it but have chosen the less commercialised Kovalam in the State of Karela. Whilst Kovalam is now almost a tourist village it has still kept its charm, lets us not confuse tourist village with the tourist likes of Spain etc. Whilst by Indian standards poverty is almost non existence, it is a very basic place but with very friendly people. Nobody has the luxuries that have spoiled the UK but people are happy and content and without attitude. All the money in the world cannot buy happiness and people make their own lives, children are cheerful, adults always have a smile and the time of day for you. Other nations could learn a lot from the culture in this area. Had we realised many years ago how economical it is to go to India we would have done it years ago, yes it is slightly more expensive to book the holiday but it is very much offset by the meagre amount you can spend in the country itself.

Shopping trip to Keralas Capital "Trivandrum"

Trivandrum is the Capital city of Kerala and is about 15KL away from Kovalam, a mere rickshaw ride which I think was in the region of £2 there and back. Items are cheaper here than Kovalam which is aimed at the Western wallet. Visit the large department store of I think Parthas or a name similar, if you want a quality suit made the tailor outside of the store will measure you and advise how much cloth, buy it in the store and let him make a suit from your chosen cloth. The traffic is very busy, there are traffic lights by the bus terminal but I don’t think anybody knows what they are there for.

• In a nutshell:Laid back with no pretentions
  • Last visit to Kovalam: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2007

Comments

Badges & Stats in Kovalam

Have you been to Kovalam?

Latest Activity in Kovalam