"Cappadocia, land of fairy chimneys!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili by mindcrime
Nevsehir Ili Travel Guide: 887 reviews and 3,107 photos
I always wanted to visit Cappadocia because of some amazing photos I have seen in the past and all the books I have read about the great history of the place. The landscape of this region of Turkey is really unique, different of anything I have seen with some fairy chimneys, great walking trails, underground cities and soaring rock formations and rock cut churches and houses! It was a great pleasure exploring the area for four full days. I stayed at Goreme, a small tourist (but picturesque) village, 20’ away from Nevsehir that is the main city of the region (but boring for visitors). The majority prefers Urgup that has bigger hotels and restaurant variety but I didn’t like it.
Cappadocia region is in the middle of Turkey, 10 hours away from Istanbul by bus. You can also fly to Kayseri by plane.
I used 2 daily tours for the NE and SW part of the area and I did some more private tours the other days visiting some other villages off the beaten path or hiking in some of the valleys. But beyond the dramatic scenery I noticed that the local people were very friendly everywhere, the prices normal except the hot air balloon prices. The travel agents seemed reliable and all the guides I used were professionals. The food was very spicy everywhere but I survived…
-ride a hot air balloon over the unique landscape. Do it the first day if possible
-Goreme Open Air Museum is a must do! The Dark Church has some beautiful frescoes.
-Visit an underground city, a big one like Kaymakli or Derinkuyu will be enough but there are many other smaller and less crowded
-hike in one, two or three of the beautiful valleys
-buy dolls from Soganli, or visit a pottery in Avanos
-visit some cave monasteries like Selime or Keslik
-drink a cup of tea in one of the old greek villages like Mustafapasha etc
-visit towns with citadels like Uchisar and Ortahisar. At least take a breathtaking picture of them from distance. They are great!
Although I didn’t spend much time at the village of Avanos I knew that it is famous as the centre of pottery in the... more travel advice
Urgup is the base from the majority of the visitors in Cappadocia because all the package tours put the masses of... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Nevsehir Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE LAND OF WELL-BRED HORSES"
- "Cappadocia, land of fairy chimneys!"
- "Nevsehir - the capital of the Fairy Chimneys Land"
- "Lunar Landscapes"
- "Urgup's Fairy Chimneys"
- "The land of beautiful horses: Cappadocia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevsehir Ili
- Hotels in Nevsehir Ili
- Transportation in Nevsehir Ili
- Nightlife in Nevsehir Ili
- Restaurants in Nevsehir Ili
- Shopping in Nevsehir Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevsehir Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevsehir Ili
- 36 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Nevsehir Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevsehir Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 93 reviews, 194 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 52 reviews, 173 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 50 reviews, 174 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Top Nevsehir Ili hotels
- Goreme Hotels
- 491 Reviews - 1504 Photos
- Urgup Hotels
- 109 Reviews - 363 Photos
- Kaymakli Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Nevsehir Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 65 Photos
- Avanos Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 35 Photos
- Uchisar Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 188 Photos
- Ortahisar Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 25 Photos
- Mustafakemalpasa Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Hacibektas Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Derinkuyu Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 14 Photos