"Cappadocia, land of fairy chimneys!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili by mindcrime

Nevsehir Ili Travel Guide: 909 reviews and 3,200 photos

I always wanted to visit Cappadocia because of some amazing photos I have seen in the past and all the books I have read about the great history of the place. The landscape of this region of Turkey is really unique, different of anything I have seen with some fairy chimneys, great walking trails, underground cities and soaring rock formations and rock cut churches and houses! It was a great pleasure exploring the area for four full days. I stayed at Goreme, a small tourist (but picturesque) village, 20’ away from Nevsehir that is the main city of the region (but boring for visitors). The majority prefers Urgup that has bigger hotels and restaurant variety but I didn’t like it.

Cappadocia region is in the middle of Turkey, 10 hours away from Istanbul by bus. You can also fly to Kayseri by plane.

I used 2 daily tours for the NE and SW part of the area and I did some more private tours the other days visiting some other villages off the beaten path or hiking in some of the valleys. But beyond the dramatic scenery I noticed that the local people were very friendly everywhere, the prices normal except the hot air balloon prices. The travel agents seemed reliable and all the guides I used were professionals. The food was very spicy everywhere but I survived…

THINGS TO DO:

-ride a hot air balloon over the unique landscape. Do it the first day if possible
-Goreme Open Air Museum is a must do! The Dark Church has some beautiful frescoes.
-Visit an underground city, a big one like Kaymakli or Derinkuyu will be enough but there are many other smaller and less crowded
-hike in one, two or three of the beautiful valleys
-buy dolls from Soganli, or visit a pottery in Avanos
-visit some cave monasteries like Selime or Keslik
-drink a cup of tea in one of the old greek villages like Mustafapasha etc
-visit towns with citadels like Uchisar and Ortahisar. At least take a breathtaking picture of them from distance. They are great!

• Last visit to Nevsehir Ili: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2010

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Great page as usual, I will be back for more!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM

the most incredible place in turkey, it is really like planet mars

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Great presentation of the churches and carved quarters. The pictures are wonderful. I went to similar place in US parks in Utah and Arizona. Bryce park has "hoodoos' is a name we call the. Or Goblin Valley near Green River was interesting

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I've just read your updatings since november, 2008 - the photo of Pasabagi is wonderful. Excellent page about a place which brings a lot of sweet memories! It seemed to me we stepped the same paths (including a ceramics shop, haha!).

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Just uploaded many tips about my recent trip to Turkey. Would appreciate if you could visit and rate me ;-)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 4:17 AM

This is a place I must get to one day!yes its the fab photos that grab me too....but the beauty of the above ground and the underground is calling too!Excellent page thanks.(if I get there I will have to take yr pgs with me!)

• unaS's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2009 at 5:14 AM

Thanks for the great memories - and the reminder of all the things I didn't manage to see. Might have to make a return trip one day.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Your informative tips are helping me plan a trip to here. Loved you photos, hope I get some as good!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Absolutely brilliant page. I really want to go here.....

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM

We enjoyed your Nevsehir page and tips. We loved our visit there, and wish that we had had more time to see all of the sights.

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Nevsehir Ili

Have you been to Nevsehir Ili?

Latest Activity in Nevsehir Ili