"cheese and aliens!" Top 5 Page for this destination Gruyères by mindcrime
Gruyères Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 357 photos
Gruyères is a touristic but beautiful small medieval village in the upper valley of Saane river at 810m above sea level on top of a hill which sits in the foothills of mount Moleson. It belongs in the canton of Fribourg and has about 2000 inhabitants and it is located 5km south of Bulle (district capital), 55km NE from Lausanne, 38km N from Vevey, 40km N from Montreux, 122km from Geneva. 63km south of Bern.
We drove there by car from Lausanne but you can also reach the village by train (via Bulle).
The only thing I knew about Gruyeres was the famous cheese with the same name so when we parked our car and walked into the village we loved it! First of all no vehicles allowed inside the village, you can walk along the pedestrianized streets and enjoy the colorful buildings, the only problem during high season will be the hordes of tourists of course. Main square is full of souvenirs stores and restaurants where you can try local specialities (we ate the best fondue here).
Locals work on cheese production and trade but the majority work for tourists of course (restaurants, museums, the castle, stores), most of them speak French and a bit of English but we didn’t have any problem to communicate. We visited the castle of Gruyeres (built in late 13th century), the HR GIGER museum, we ate at a local restaurant, we visited Giger bar and at the end we saw the cheese factory (it is located at Pringy village which is part of Gruyeres, 15’ walk from the village of Gruyeres)
My bookguide didn’t have any word for this museum so when I saw the sculptures outside I thought it was some kind of... more travel advice
We saw St.Theodul Parish church from the castle as it is located near by and we decided to visit later. It’s a beautiful... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Gruyères Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gruyeres / Greyerz: home of my favorite cheese"
- "How could I not go to the city of cheese?"
- "cheese and aliens!"
- "OLD History...the Walled Village of Gruyeres...."
- "Tucked in the quiet mountains"
- "Gruyeres - cheese & Aliens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gruyères
- Hotels in Gruyères
- Transportation in Gruyères
- Restaurants in Gruyères
- Shopping in Gruyères
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gruyères
- 9 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Gruyères?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gruyères
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 98 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 48 reviews, 220 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 52 reviews, 173 photos